December 9th

9th

"There's always a good lesson in meeting new people, its enlarging your circle of friends. And though there are times you don't match with their likes, there are some whom you just blend well." ― Solita.

I'm rummaging around in my locker, struggling to push away the sinking feeling that was settling inside me as I fail to find any form of present.

Oh.

Maybe they forgot, maybe they can't be bothered. I was stupid to ever think somebody would bother with something as special as this for a whole twenty four days, especially with someone like me.

That's what I'm thinking when I hear an abrupt cough behind me. It's the kind of cough that serves the sole purpose of getting somebody's attention, rather than clearing your throat. My head whips around.

Stood in front of me, looking not even slightly awkward, is the popular boy who gave me the original letter over a week ago. He's holding a huge, bright red envelope. A few people give him weird looks as they pass, but he doesn't appear at all bothered. I like that.

"Scarlett, right?" he enquires. I nod. The boy informs me that he's Ed as he passes me the huge envelope.

"Uh, thanks," I reply, propping the envelope adressed to me against the lockers.

"No worries. I'm not allowed to tell you who it's from; apparently you'll understand why," Ed says and I nod again, this time a blush dusts my cheeks. "Well, see you around, Scarlett."

With that he walks away, slipping easily into a group of other populars.

Suddenly, I feel very awkward and exposed without Ed's company. The stares intensify and I shrink back under the weight of their eyes on me.

Once again I spend lunch time in the library. Today Imogen has cheerleading club and I'm left by myself again. Not that I mind.

I take the opportunity to open the huge envelope I got earlier. Inside is a giant novelty Christmas card which I quickly slide out. It's white, with red typography saying 'Happy Christmas Scarlett!' in a cursive font. The fact that this secret santa, whoever they are, has gone to so much effort as to get a personalised card made for me makes me immensely happy.

Inside, the message is simple:

Don't tell me this isn't the biggest (and best) card you've ever got.
Merry Christmas, Scarlett.
Love, your secret santa. x

what do you think of ed? do you reckon you know who the secret santa is yet? tell me!

Thank you for reading <3