December 20th

20th 

"The truth is, we are not afraid of being in love. We are only afraid of not being loved in return." - Unknown.

The weather is overcast when I wake on Saturday morning; a sky promising snow but not delivering. I climb out of bed and put on my slipper socks (thanks, Secret Santa), then pad downstairs.

       "Morning," I say as I poke open the twentieth door on my advent calendar.

      "Hi love, are you still going to Imogen's tonight?" asks my Mum from where she's sat at the table, flicking through the newspaper.

        "Yup." I pop the little chocolate into my mouth and smile.

      "Thank God," Jay mutters. "Last time you had a sleepover here I was kept up all night by your giggling."

        I ignore my moody older brother's comment, instead swooping in and snatching a piece of toast off of his plate. He bats my arm in protest but I've already taken a bite.

         "Hey!" he growls. Someone's day of skiving clearly wasn't as fun as planned. "Mum, Scarlett stole my toast!"

         My mother looks up, frowning, but I'm prepared. "Mum, yesterday Jay spent-"

        "Doesn't matter, she can have the stupid toast!" he quickly interjects, though not after throwing me a bitter look. I feel smug, and glad my older brother spent a large amount of his time at high school skipping class, because as a result I’ve become smarter than him.

        "Jay spent what?" Mum persists, looking sceptical.

        "Uh, doesn't matter..." I reply, distracted by my phone vibrating, indicating an incoming text.

        From: Immy <3

                which would you rather watch: Love Actually, Elf, It's A Wonderful Life or Olive The Other Reindeer? xx

        I grin, just the mention of the Christmas films making me feel festive.

        To: Immy <3

                how about all of them? :D xx

        From: Immy <3

                sounds good, see you soon? xx

         Typing out a quick 'sure', I return to my bedroom and rummage through my wardrobe. I pick out a Christmas patterned jumper (I'm going all out festive today) and some leggings, then shove my slipper socks into my already packed overnight bag. Ten minutes later, I'm out the door.

When I reach Immy's house and discover she's wearing a sweater with a reindeer on it, I laugh and pull her into a hug. It's odd to think we ever fell out.

        The following seven or so hours are spent in pure bliss: marathon-watching some of the best Christmas films and gorging on popcorn followed by pizza and chips followed by chocolate. It's probably the unhealthiest way to spend a day, but also one of the best.

        By the time we've watched all four movies, the day has merged into evening and the sky outside is dark. Our chatting has flitted across all kinds of topics, all of them light-hearted and easy. Now, as we switch off the TV and change into pyjamas, I know the conversation will slide into genuine problems and discussions. And I know what I'll eventually end up telling Immy once it does.