December 15th

15th

“People who think they know it all are so annoying to those of us who do.” – Anonymous.

It’s Monday. Again. Monday’s seem too roll around all too quickly for me, the weekend flashes by and suddenly you’re back to school and early mornings and dreary days and people. I can’t even muster a smile as Jay offers me a lift to school, despite the fact I get to avoid a treacherous walk to the bus stop in the icy weather.

When I arrive at school, so tired it’s as if I’m in a daze, I already know what to expect. People stare, like they did this time last week after my encounter with Aaron Dean, but I pretend they aren’t. I’ve learnt how to do it, after years of practise back home, in Perth. You ignore people until they get bored and stop with their whispering and pointing.

Unfortunately, I find out in Maths that one person hasn’t grown tired of the ridiculous rumour circulating Ed and I just yet. Of course, that person would be my current nemesis, who came in the form of a heavily made-up and very irritating girl named Kayleigh.

“Scarlett!” she hisses from behind me.

Ignore her. I tell myself.

“Hey, you!”

Ignore! I grit my teeth and use all my will power to continue with the trigonometry questions I’m currently struggling to tackle.

“Oi, just because you’re going out with Ed Kearney you don’t need to act like you’re suddenly better than everyone else,” she spits and I feel my fury rising as I spin around in my seat.

“Listen, just because you seem to think you’re popular, it doesn’t mean you need to go round spreading complete crap about people that is clearly untrue,” I remark in a voice that is teetering on the edge of becoming snappy. “I bumped into Ed in town so we went to McDonald’s together. That was it. No dating, no kissing, no romance whatsoever. So please do your homework before you insult me - and Ed for that matter.”

Kayleigh acts as if she’s offended, but her vile attitude makes me feel not a shred of sympathy. “I was just going by what I heard. Anyway, it wouldn’t surprise me; you’re just so desperate to be liked that you’ll do anything, take your little show with Aaron last Friday for example.”

At this point, I think my maths teacher is telling me to turn around and get back to my work, but their words fall on deaf ears.

“Oh, for God’s sake! You really think that was for attention?” I scoff. “Do you want to know something, you little liar? Before I moved over here and was made to come to this school, I was at a different high school. Just like here, there were infuriating people who liked to spread lies in search of acceptance, people like you really. However, when I lived there, a lot more of the rumours were about me. I was popular. I know it probably pains you to hear it, because that’s about the only thing you excel me at: popularity. Despite the fact back there I was somehow one of the favourite people in the school; I hated it, all the backstabbing and the fakeness, so when I came here I decided one thing: I would not become popular. So whilst you sit there thinking you’re so loved and so wonderful, whilst I’m a nobody who only seeks attention, you should at least know that once upon a time I was top dog. Of course I’m not anymore, but to me, that’s a great thing. Believe me Kayleigh; I really don’t want any more eminence than I already have.”

Kayleigh looks stunned, to say the least, and I’m glad for having finally wiped her smug, barbie-pink grin off her face. Maybe what I said was harsh, but she’d done far worse to me and, just like Aaron, she deserves it.

Imogen is off sick all day, so I eat my lunch alone. Even my back-up companions, who I know from lessons in which I’m not with Immy, who I usually sit with in this case, turn their backs to me. I presume it’s because of the rumour of Ed and me; it’s upsetting to think that they’d believe that kind of crap. But I suppose when information like that comes from people, such as Kayleigh, who are from a social level above you, you’d rarely doubt it.

No matter how hard I look, I can’t see Ed either. Eventually I decide on texting him, so whilst I’m squashed in my corner of the school library, I pull out my phone. The message is short, just questioning his whereabouts and I get a response quickly. Almost too quickly, for someone who suggests that they’ve got a virus. I wonder if Ed just couldn’t face attending school today, the idea was almost unbearable for me and I’ve got scarcely any friends to judge me.

At half past three, as pupils begin to filter through the corridors and out of the school gates, I check my locker. A small, hand crafted paper crane is placed carefully atop the junk that consumes my locker. Written on one of the wings in loopy writing are three words. For good luck x. This time, I don’t put my gift in my pocket or my bag, but instead I locate a blob of blutac on the back of my locker’s metal door and use it to stick up the origami bird so that it hangs down as a decoration to the interior of the cabinet. Maybe then I’ll have good luck every day. I hope so; I need it at the moment.

thank you for reading, as always, i love you.

- ella x

p.s this is dedicated to my friend emma for texting me earlier and persuading me to update and because i borrowed her surname for ed haha ily