One Step Closer

(Ed's pov)

  I woke up in a dazed state. Oswald was gone and I couldn't tell what time it was by looking out the window. I got out of bed and put on my glasses. After walking around a bit I found a bathroom. I washed my face and went into the sitting room where I found Oswald on the couch reading a newspaper.

  "what time is it?" I asked still standing in the doorway. Oswald looked round.

  "Ed!" he got up and folded the paper neatly. "I think the question you should be asking is what day is it," he replied cheerily.

  "Hmm?" I rubbed my eyes and looked back down at him. "What do you mean day?" I asked.

  "You've been asleep for two days." Oswald explained smiling.

  "W-what? I'm sorry I didn't mean to." Oswald held up a hand.

  "You needn't apologize for sleeping. It is a normal process and being locked up in that place can tire a man. I know that much." He put a hand on my shoulder. "However, you must be hungry," he said

  "I don't think I am," I answered.

  "Nonsense, look at you. You're all skin and bones." he said. I looked down at my feet. "Let's get you something to wear."

  (Oswald's pov)

  I sat across from Ed who was wearing a shirt I had bought him that was much too big. I picked the clothes with the sizes I remembered him wearing in mind, but he had lost a fair amount of weight since then.

  He looked down at his plate distastefully. I ordered him spaghetti, his favorite, because it was small and I didn't want to overwhelm him.

  He played with his food and didn't look at me.

  "When was the last time you ate?" I asked as I watched him. He looked up at me then back at the table. Too long, i thought sadly. If you had to think that long it was too long.

  "Ed I'm not going to make you eat, or sleep, or do anything you don't want to do, but I will ask you because I care about you. I want you to be healthy." I put a hand across the table and placed it over his slender fingers.

  Edward looked down at my hand. Timidly, he picked up his fork and put a few noodles on it. He looked at them for a long while then carefully put it in his mouth.

  Bite by bite he ate the rest of his pasta quietly. I smiled. It was a small step ,but a step closer to bringing back Edward.