Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The ride home was . . . odd. In today's world, people drove from place to place in shiny, expensive mobile vehicles. The "Innovative Glass Car" had recently been released into the public and was surprisingly popular. People seemed to care more about the sleek look of a car than the shards of glass that would pierce them in an accident.

That was the car I was expecting Kendall to proudly own. At the least, I was predicting a foreign car yet to be heard of in our nation. But neither of those was what stood waiting patiently for our appearance. What waited at the entrance wasn't even a car.

It was a carriage.

I waited for Kendall to demand to know who was playing a joke on him, but his face held a neutral expression the entire time we headed towards the carriage.

It was a refulgent black, the metal bolts still holding their dull, silver color. Written in silver cursive on the door was a single word that held much power: Gordon.

Even in my underdeveloped town, the name had a dangerous reputation. The Gordon brothers were widely known for their cold, calculating ways and for their "heavenly" looks. Two of them took after their mom while one possessed the calmness of their father.

I assumed Kendall was the odd duckling in the bunch based on his features. The other two Gordon boys were rumored to have "luscious" blonde hair and "dreamy" green eyes. Yet, Kendall was quite the opposite with his sleek black hair and pale blue eyes.

If Kendall was a Gordon, then he was smarter than I was giving him credit for. The Gordon brothers weren't known for their cluelessness but for their cunning brains. That meant this ride home wasn't just a one way stop for me, but possibly much more than I predicted.

On the ride there, I sat inside the carriage with Kendall, a guard, and a werewolf whom I stared at for a long period of time. He stared back, unblinking, with eyes that held nothing. I waited to catch a shimmer of fear, anger, anything, but all I saw was an empty void. I think that was what terrified me the most.

Kendall did his best trying to lighten the mood by asking if I preferred a sapphire or ruby collar. That only caused me to give him a deadly glare while the guard gave me an equally malicious glare for disrespecting his precious Prince.

By the time we actually arrived at the town, I'd come up with several ways to kill Kendall, all of them involving various forms of slow torture. Those thoughts had put a glint in my eye and a relatively smug smile on my face. Both of which Kendall seemed to notice.

"Have you finally conjured up some excitement at the sight of your hometown?" He asked, his eyes looking out the carriage window with little to no interest.

"Yeah, that's it," I murmured, my smirk still in place. Kendall suddenly turned towards me, his eyes full of suspicion. I just shrugged and looked away, leaving his silent question unanswered.

The carriage came to a sudden halt, the sturdy horses outside thundering their hooves impatiently against the ground. I could hear a piercing scream showing someone had spotted the "Gordon" lettering on the side.

"I think there are a few things for us to discuss before we venture outside, Snowflake," Kendall started, and my head snapped his way as I gave him yet another glare. He gave an apologetic grin but made no verbal apology.

"What do we have to discuss, Prince Gordon?" I asked, and his smile quickly replaced itself with clenched teeth.

He looked at the guard and nodded his head the slightest, resulting in the guard and the werewolf exiting the carriage. They set off a round of screams, people seeming to think Kendall was the one stepping out of the carriage.