Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

The ride back was quiet. Even Kendall, who always seemed to have something to say, remained silent and kept his eyes on me. I just ignored him, looking out the small window.

Going home had been a bigger disaster than I had imagined. My mom had tried to kill me and now wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. My dad had shot himself, something werewolves seldom did unless they had been captured like I had.

I wished I could feel something, any emotion. I wished I could scream and beat my fists against something or let my wolf take control and rip her teeth into flesh. Instead, I was stuck with an endless, empty void in my chest.

I felt the carriage finally slow itself before halting to a complete stop. I started to walk out, prepared to shift and sleep, but Kendall cleared his throat, causing me to pause.

"We will be outside in a few moments," Kendall said simply, his eyes not even on the lone guard. His eyes remained on me, just watching.

The guard hesitated, looking back and forth between Kendall and I. He clearly didn't want to leave his Prince alone in the carriage with a predator who had the possibility of ripping his throat open.

I almost thought he was going to disobey the order, but he sighed in defeat and finally left with reluctance weighing down his boots.

My eyes flicked to Kendall, waiting to hear his reasoning for being alone with me. I didn't know if I'd be able to listen to him without snapping and giving my wolf control.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Kendall said, his voice filled with sincerity. I just blinked in response. Of course, he'd known.

That had probably been Kendall's advantage all along. He'd known before he even made a deal with me because he'd been smart enough to do a background check. He couldn't have a reckless wolf protecting his precious life.

"I will allow a month of grieving before training is begun in order to prepare you for your job as a Protector," he added, his eyes not holding the biting edge they usually did.

But I bristled, not wanting his pity. He would have never offered one of his guards that amount of time. I would finish my life as a Protector, reap its rewards, and live in solitude as quickly as possible. Which meant starting the "training process" sooner rather than later.

I couldn't tell him any of that, though, not while I was shifted. So instead of waiting for him to dismiss me as any obeying "Protector" of his should, I walked out the carriage without his permission.

Where I was going, I wasn't sure. I didn't know the land well yet, so I would most likely end up lost, even with my heightened senses, if I tried roaming around.

I decided to head to the entrance of the palace, waiting to hear their obscene threats if I didn't leave. That was exactly what I was expecting since the palace was so secure. However, that's not what happened.

The guards in front of the open gates only glanced at me before their eyes drifted and dreamed of catching real action to sate their adrenaline. One of them had the nerve to grimace at me but hurriedly looked away when I proudly showed him my glistening set of teeth.

When I entered the palace, I could hear the guard who'd allowed me in talking.

"Snowflake has entered the palace," he said lowly into the comm in his ear.

I snarled at the nickname, causing him to pale and bow slightly before shutting the doors.

It was bad enough hearing Kendall call me by the damn name, but now I had to listen to the guards call me by it also. I would make sure to straighten them out soon if Kendall didn't.

I paused in my walking, watching warily as a man in a solid suit approached me. As he finally was within reach, he greeted me with a broad and welcoming smile. It was too bad a smile like that wouldn't be able to charm me on a day like this.

"Good evening, Snowflake. I'm Lex, and I will be servicing you for the rest of the day," he said brightly. But it happened to be just a little too cheery for me.

I huffed loudly before I turned away from him and started walking off. Any second now and he would . . .

"Wait!"

I tried grinning smugly, but I was sure that in my wolf form it held the opposite of the intended effect. When I turned around, I saw him stiffen a fraction at my smile.

"Look, I don't want to do this just as much as you don't want to be here. I lost a bet a few months ago, and Kendall finally called in his favor. So just play along, alright?" He asked, his voice tainted with the same annoyance Kendall's held on occasion.

I heard his sigh of relief as I walked forward, displaying my willingness to follow him. He grinned at me once again, but this time it appeared more forced than bright.

"Your room is right this way," he said before leading us through the maze-like halls.

If I was alone, there was now a higher chance that I would know where I was going. But the odds were still slim compared to my chances of getting lost.

"Prince Gordon wanted you to be informed that this is now your official quarters," he announced, gesturing towards a room.

It was the room I had been placed in before, that much I was sure of by the smell. But a gold plaque had been placed on the center of the door stating it was the room of the "Property of Kendall Gordon: His Protector," causing me to let a small growl slip out. The bastard had probably had it placed on the door right before we left his palace.

"He also wanted me to inform you that that room is his," he started, pausing to point to the room left of my own. "And that there is now a door connecting the two."

I narrowed my eyes slightly. Kendall was sure playing with his death by all of the add-ons. But then again, if he ever annoyed me to that certain point, I could always just sneak into his room and strangle him. So maybe there was a bright side to this after all.

"From now on, you are to report in front of Prince Kendall's room every morning and wait until he appears. Do you understand?" Lex asked, his bored eyes on me. It was clear he wanted to be elsewhere, just like me.

I answered him by pointedly looking at my door. He responded by glowering at me before grudgingly opening the door. The most amusing part was hearing him curse my "wolf" under his breath.

I walked into the room, studying it. It looked just as I remembered, but the wardrobe doors hung wide open to display its variety of vibrant clothes that hadn't been there this morning.

I shifted, walking over to the wardrobe. Finding something comfortable proved to be difficult as most of the clothes were flowing and formal. In the end, I managed to find a white nightgown that was made of cotton.

I slipped into it before crawling on the bed and sighing, and I closed my eyes. Today had been a dreadfully long day, and I was pleased it was finally coming to its end.

Just as I felt my mind drifting into its sleeping state, there was a light knock on the connecting door before I vaguely heard:

"Sweet dreams, Snowflake."