Chapter Three

Ryan was walking the dogs when he saw the car come to a stop at the intersection, and by then she was attempting to escape. The boyfriend, Eddie, braked hard. The passenger door swung opened all the way out. It was early in the afternoon, eighty-eight degrees and no one came out when she started yelling. Eddie grabbed at her shirt to keep her from fleeing and Holly's palm cracked against her boyfriend's cheek, causing him to blurt, "Aw, fuck!" "Aw, fuck is right." Ryan said to the dogs, stepping off the curb. "Here we go."

Ryan cleared his throat, "Holly?"
"What?" She said, tearing herself from Eddie's clutches. "Sorry to bother you, you know where we can go swimming?" Eddie peered over her shoulder, and Ryan smiled. You see me, you little fuck? Good, 'cause I'm on my way. Billie and Baxter crossed leashes and whined to go for a ride. Holly blinked at him, "You want go swimming?" "My dogs are just about to croak from this heat; thought we'd find a watering hole." Billie and Baxter pawed at the car door. "Ryan, your new neighbour. It is Holly, right?" Eddie continued to project his best thousand-yard stare through the windshield. Ryan winked at Holly – work with me girl. Holly smirked – she got it. "They look like they could use a swim." Holly said, "Hey, hot doggies. What's up?" "By the way." Ryan nudged the door open so the dogs could play their part. "I'm Ryan Reynolds, you must be Teddie, right?" "It's Eddie." He said, scowling at Ryan's outstretched hand. "These two are Baxter and Billie. My sweet babies." "I gotta go, Holls, get those damn dogs out of my car." "Sorry, Eddie. Where was that watering hole did you say?" Ryan made a show of trying to pull them out and leant over Holly. "Darn it, they don't want to come out. Come on, Billie, let's get out of the nice mans car." "Here, let me." Holly hauled herself out of the car and unwound Billie's leash from her legs. Eddie turned to his girlfriend, "We going on or what?" "Hold on." Holly turned to Ryan, "You still need to know how to get to Governor's Dodge?" "The what?"
"The lake up state park, dogs are allowed. Tell you what," she glanced back at Eddie who was impatiently revving his engine. "Why don't I draw you a map?" "That'd be helpful."
"Eddie, why don't you–" He squealed the tires and blew the stop sign, cranked his music and floored it around the corner. "Thanks for that." Holly watched the spot where Eddie had just been, then nodded once in the same direction. "Oh, no. It wasn't–"
"Yes it was. I needed rescuing and you rescued me." "If that's true, then I'm glad I came walking by. I should get them home, are you going this way?"
"I live next door, don't I?"
"So, you do live at home?"
"Where else would I live?"
"I don't know, none of my business, actually."

Dumb fuck.

She walked beside him and the dogs careened, sniffing every inch of the sidewalk. He noticed her small feet, the retro converse she wore with no socks. Simple blue denim shorts, a plain white tee on top, snug over the soccer ball of her belly. He guessed she was six or seven months along, but he was too afraid to ask. The rest of her was shorter than he imagined, compared to his nearly Amazonian ex-wife. This was like walking a girl home from school, it felt like he was already courting her, and that couldn't be right. No matter how much benefit of the doubt he gave himself. "Don't tell my parents, okay?" Holly perked up, avoiding eye contact with the man towering beside her. "About Eddie." He kept his eyes on the sidewalk. "Of course."