Chapter Twelve

"Oh my goodness! Holly!" The door to the girl's hospital room was forcefully swung open by her mother, The "BFG" father plodded in behind. Ryan had reluctantly called Gail and John after the ordeal, he had time to kill sat alone in the waiting area, so why not invite a pair of concerned parents to yell at you down the phone? Holly's hand slipped away from his when her guardians approached her bedside, the room descending into chaos when Gail the blubbering whirlwind appears. "Oh, my Holly baby.." She hadn't heard that nickname since she'd told her mother she was pregnant. "I'm fine, mom.. We're fine." Trying to move her hands away from Gail's grip, the little blonde watched Ryan stand up from his place on her opposite side. "We took the first flight back as soon as Ryan called us. I'm so happy you're okay." Holly gave her a nod, the words were skimming straight over her head, she was too busy keeping an eye on her father standing behind her lover. All too close for comfort. "Can I speak to you outside?" John spoke up, and Ryan immediately obeyed. Shit. Here we go. Holly tried to sit up as the two most important men in her life disappeared out into the hospital hallway.

"John, I'm so sorry about Holly... I tried to—" Ryan fumbled over his words instantly, his hands panicking too as they jerked about while he spoke. "Just stay away from her." John even shifted slightly to block his neighbour from entering Holly's room again, his voice boomed through their surroundings. "The cops told me what happened to Eddie. I don't want you around my family." Ryan felt like his heart was about to fall out his butt, his throat was dry and closing up. There was a pause before he dived down to pluck up any courage to respond, by then John was venturing back into the room and lowered his voice accordingly. "Just leave. Don't contact my daughter again. Or I'll deal with you myself." And that was it. Turning his head to look through the gap in the blinds, Ryan's eyes latched onto Holly. My little blondie. It felt like there were two concrete slabs on his shoulders. He couldn't breathe properly. But his feet moved. They moved so fast and he rushed out of there, knowing deep down that he was right. She was the strongest girl he'd ever met, and she was better off without him.

~•~

It was a week before Holly started to feel like herself again, she was released from hospital and managed sit with her parents to eat, even taking a shower afterwards. In between she continuously checked her cellphone for any sign of Ryan. It wasn't like him not to message her for a few hours, let alone this long. She'd watch out her bedroom window for any sign of him, just a glimpse would be enough, knowing he's okay. For most of her days she'd sleep her pain away, the physical was bearable but the mental pain was eating her alive. All she wanted was to be in his arms again. The safest and happiest she'd ever been.

A small company in the town had given Ryan some work that he could do from home. Shame. Getting out of this neighbourhood would be a light at the end of this never ending dark tunnel he'd descended into. At least he'd get some income. But only if he could concentrate knowing the girl his heart yearned for was over the street. And he couldn't see her. Billie and Baxter moped around just as much as their owner, whining at the lingering smell of Holly still in their home. They missed her too. He noticed their confused expressions when they looked up at him. "I know. I miss her too. But she doesn't belong here." Baxter plodded forward to rest his chin down on his master's knee, and his hand scratched gently behind his velvety ear. Adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose, Ryan struggles on to finish typing and get away from his computer for the day. It didn't long before he was back in his usual place at the kitchen window, staring out into the street. Sometimes when he left the house to take the dogs out, he'd walk close to the Grier house, hoping his eyes caught on to any sign of life. But there was nothing, the blinds always remained closed. All he wanted was to get lost in the sight of Holly again. The sweet intoxicating scent of her hair, the tender touch of her lips. His heart ached for this girl, way more than it had for his ex-wife. And he wasn't about to give up on her this easily.

~•~

Watching Father Grier's every move across the road as he climbed into his car, Ryan's foot nervously tapped down against his cold kitchen tile. This was his chance. Fuck. Apparently I want my head on a silver platter. He rushed upstairs to get dressed, his usual ensemble of jeans and a tight t-shirt. But this one was different, and as he looked in the mirror he remembered Holly in the same shirt. His shirt. The days when she'd come downstairs in wearing that and just his boxers, clinging her tiny arms around him from behind whilst he cooked her dinner. Memories Ryan would have to learn to forget... No way. It's now or never, dumb fuck. Get it together. Gearing himself up with a few deep breaths, Ryan shot back down the stairs and straight out the front door, shoving his hands down in his pockets with his feet eagerly carrying him across the street.

Knock. Knock.
Who's there?
The man who loves your daughter.

It took Gail less than a minute to answer the door, her illuminated expression soon fading at the sight of the visitor standing awkwardly on her doorstep. Like it was his first time there all over again. "Ryan—" "Can I see her? Just for a minute? Please?" He gulped at his sudden bravery, interrupting her wasn't his plan. Or this voice resembling a pleading child. "I don't think that's a good idea. She doesn't want to see you." As if Ryan hadn't had enough kicks in the teeth recently, Gail really took the cake with this one. She doesn't want to see you. When he tried to look further past her shoulder, she instantly closed the door a little, blocking any attempts he made to try and spot Holly. "You shouldn't come here again." Ryan stared at the red paint now sitting inches from his face.

She doesn't want to see you.