Chapter Ten

She'd been gone a few minutes, but to Ryan it seemed like hours. He knew letting her go home wasn't a big deal, but something was off and there was suddenly an uneasy feeling in the pit of Ryan's stomach. After gulping down his remaining coffee, he ventured out to search for her.

The Grier residence bared no clues of Holly's whereabouts, he searched everywhere but she wasn't anywhere to be seen. Had she run away? Had she really gone to Seattle after everything they'd been through, all the promises she'd made? Ryan spotted a cellphone on the kitchen table. Hers. Hands practically scramble to pick it up, his instant reaction was to check who she'd called. Real creepy, Ryan. His instinct was right. Nearly twenty missed calls to Eddie. Fuck. Why was she calling him? It didn't matter. He wasn't safe. She wasn't safe. It was a complete blur from the house to the car, Ryan drove manically to where Holly had mentioned her psychotic boyfriend resided. There were plenty of cars around, maybe Eddie had used Holly to lure him here and beat him to a pulp with his hillbilly family. He needed to remain calm, for her sake, and that's just what he did as he stepped out the car. Ryan's eyes searched hopelessly for any sign of his blondie, he couldn't afford to lose his shit. He could be stepping into a life-or-death situation.

It was the middle of the day and the lights were on in Eddie's home. Or should he say outhouse? It was more like a shed. But it was... Decent. Brushed cotton sofa and matching armchair, a large television and handsome black audio appliances stacked beneath. It all looked like someone had poured their home equity into the interior instead of the outside. Ryan moved down the hall, he smelled fresh laundry and looked inside a closet with shuttered doors. A stack of white tees and black cargo pants were folded over the top of a laundry unit. Who knew this guy was a neat-freak? He grabbed the knob of the door again, wiping it with the hem of his shirt when he realised he was leaving prints. Moving down the hall to what must be a bedroom, x-box console, military bedding all green and crisp. Ryan saw no blood or sign of a struggle. If Holly was here, she might be folded in his closet. His hands were shaking now, inhaling a couple of deep breaths in a poor attempt at keeping his mind clear. The whole deal was starting to feel like a set-up. Ryan went to the boy's closet. Somewhere outside a screen door creaked and latched, he listened for any sound of footsteps but he heard none. Maybe Eddie was going to jump out and brain him with a sawed off baseball bat, like something from a movie. He felt strangely calm. You could sense when you were trespassing in front of a watchful eye, and this clean little home felt empty. Ryan's trembling hand worked with its own curious will, the metal door folded out. Aside from clothes hanging in colour-coordinated groups, the closet was empty.
No it wasn't.
There was a suitcase on the floor, a big one, open and full of folded clothes, A Time Out – Seattle city guide. Planning to follow her to Seattle? He heard a click.

She's been lying to you.

He stood upright, turning to see two figures approaching him. "Holly—" Eddie was taller than he remembered. His hair was better, recently cut, neat over the ears. He had her in a chokehold. A black gun with a wooden grip was pressed to her abdomen and shaking, stabbing at the outermost bulge of her belly. The boy was shaking, too, eyes roadmap red. A large square bandaid was stuck to the side of his forehead. "Where's your big money now, fuck-face?" When Eddie talked, Holly whimpered and he tightened his grip around her neck. Tears cascaded down her cheeks and over the back of Eddie's wrist. Her glassy red eyes delving into Ryan's very soul. She was petrified, but remained silent.
"Hi, Eddie."
"You're in my house, asshole."
"I'm sorry, Eddie. Don't worry about him—" Holly's broken voice appeared.
"Shut up!"
Ryan tried to breath deeply without showing it. Jesus, it was hot in here. "What money, Eddie?"
"I thought you could help us," Holly said. She was trying to signal him with her eyes, too scared to move any limbs. "He can help us, Eddie."
"Absolutely, just hold on a sec," Ryan said.
"You hold on, asshole, you just hold on." His tone a little too cool for Ryan's liking. "You think you can just buy it? I won't let you take my baby." Holly yelped. Eddie was jabbing her with the gun. Jabbing her right in the— Wait a minute. Was she in on this? Had she tried to trick him? "Eddie, please!" Holly was being too loud. She was—
The gun.
The gun was everything. Look away. Show no fear. Ryan forced himself to look in the kid's eyes, but his stare kept going back to her. Holly was as white as the upholstery, her cheek twitched violently. Eddie's mouth hung open like he was being held hostage, too.
The gun...

Ryan reached out.  "Eddie, we can—"
The gun exploded.