Chapter 3 - Percy

"Just come in and take your seats."
It was 8:45 when Percy and Jeff got to class. The teacher didn't seem to be mad. Maybe he didn't find the place immediately either. He was a tall, slender man with really big and round glasses, they reminded Percy of the windows on the Argo II. His hair was brown and messy with strips of gray in them.
Percy and Jeff quickly sat down on two window seats. There weren't that many students, but maybe some were just still trying to find the room. It was simple with no noticeable decoration or posters. Merely a pot with petunias was placed on the teachers desk. The words Mr.Gruner
had been written spidery on the black board.
"So, today you're going to receive your first assignment for history class: In groups of two you shall write a ten page essay about a historical topic of your choice. The American Civil War, French Revolution or Nazi-Germany. Coincidence will decide who shall pair up with whom. For that I need you all to write down your names on a piece of paper to throw it into this box right here." A couple of kids started groaning, but eventually they all started writing down their names. Percy ripped off a piece of his blue notebook and wrote in capital letters Percy Jackson on the paper. He then went to the front and threw it into the box. He secretly hoped he'd get paired up with Jeff. He seemed to be a nice guy, but he also knew the Moirae hated him so that was not going to happen.
When Percy turned around to walk back to his seat, he recognized the girl he tried to speak to in the hallway, just as she got up from her seat way back in the corner. She met his gaze and raised one eyebrow in surprise, but then rolled her eyes and started walking to the front, ignoring Percy. She was wearing a lot of black: a white and black striped shirt with rolled up sleeves, a black pair of patched skinny jeans and an old pair of chucks. She had her thick curly black hair in a loose bun and her black headphones dangling from her neck. Above each wrist she had a firey red bracelet in the shape of a snake. The girl had a dark grunge style and she had this aura of gloom around her that gave him the chills. Her eyes were a very intense dark brown. They were like road kill: It made you uncomfortable to look at them but they kind of forced you to not look away. She was not a monster though, Percy was sure of that. He was an expert on detecting monsters, since so many really had it in for him and it was kind of important to find them before they find him. She was just a creepy girl who probably sells crack and who you would not want to meet at a dark street corner on a friday evening.
After everyone gave in their names Mr. Grunert put the lid back on the box and shaked it. He then opened it up and picked out two pieces of paper. "Now, I'll randomly take two names and read them out loud and the pair shall stand up. Let's start with... Gina Mellet and Fiona Summers." Two girls, a blonde and a brunette stood up and smiled at eachother. It seemed like they knew one another. "Great, you're the first pair. Let's go on. Next we have Jeffrey Clark and Theo Hunt." Jeff, who was sitting right infront of Percy got up and faced a boy with glasses and a red tee sitting in the front. Jeff didn't look very happy and Percy wonderd why. He guessed the two didn't get along well with eachother.
Mr. Grunert picked a couple more names and Percy started to get impatient. Creepy girl was not picked either and he really hoped he wouldn't get paired up with her.
But, he knew the Moirae hated him.
"Alexandra Mekon and Percy Jackson."
Percy stood up and faced the rest of the class. His heart dropped to his gut. He saw the girl in the corner was standing too staring right at him, sceptically. Her eyes were very intense and Percy felt uncomfortable looking at them. The boy swallowed and turned around getting back into his seat.
The teacher called out the last names and placed the red box on his desk. "Your task is clear. The assignment is due in 4 weeks and it will make up 25% of your grade this year, so don't mess up. That's it, the bell will ring in a couple of minutes. Have a nice day."
Mr Grunert grabed his case and went out of the door. The rest of the class started chatting about possible topics. Percy put his materials back into his backpack. He got up, sighed and wanted to go to creepy girl, Alexandra, to discuss their task, but he could only see her walking out of the door.
Well that's going to be a fun group project. He thought to himself before following her out.