Chapter 10 : the sword of crota

I was tired of the moon. For the first three hours I was there I did nothing but drive in circles while I froze my ass off. Then we had to fight more hive knights only to realize they weren't our targets and so we started to drive again. The next two I spent under fire from hive boomer knights. We had tracked the sword into an underground fortress but at the entrance there were at least 50 of the boomer knights. The second they saw us they unleashed a barrage of dark plasma on us. We were forced to stay back a good distance behind cover.

For the first hour we peeked our heads out every few minutes and unloaded our snipers into one of them. Then we ran out of sniper ammo and had to resort to Alec's rocket launcher. When it ran out of ammo 15 minutes later there were still at least thirty boomers left. We used a combination of grenades as they charged and primaries to pick off one every few minutes when it was safe to come out of cover. Over the next 45 minutes we killed all but five of the knights. "Ashley use a nova bomb." Alec shouted at me when both of our weapons were empty. I had briefly read about the other warlock super but I had never used one. I knew it was a miniature black hole that was contained for only a few moments before disappearing but its effect was devastating. I shrugged and thought about the roiling purple energy that was a nova bomb. I felt my light peak and my super charge. I glide jumped out of cover and summoned the nova bomb. It appeared in my hand like a roiling storm, eager to explode. It had real weight in my hand once it reached the size of a kid so I used all my might and threw it at the remaining five knights and the cover around them. As I fell towards the ground the nova bomb tracked the enemies and made impact. Three of the knights were directly consumed by the bomb while the other two ducked for cover. It was no use for when the bomb exploded it brushed them aside like leaves. Once I landed on the ground I fell to my knees. I couldn't breath inside of my stuffy helmet and I recalled reading the that moon was terraformed to Wher it had breathable air so I removed my helmet and took deep breaths. The nova bomb had taken more energy than my radiance had before. That combined with the fact that I had been fighting for five hours made me exhausted.

The air on the moon was stale, cold and tasted of metal. I regained my computer as Alec walked over beside me and offered his hand out to help me up. I took it and he hoisted me up. "I'm out of ammo." I told him as we both looked towards the entrance to the fortress ahead of us. "Yeah so am I. Luckily I have some stored away in my vault. It's not much but it'll get us through the rest of the mission. Ghost transfer some to Ashley's vault." He commanded. A new magazine then appeared in my gun. "Thanks. Now let's go. I'm tired and cold." I said and started walking towards the temple. The entrance quickly led to a passage that descended rapidly in a wide spiral. We started walking down, weapons at the ready in case of resistance. We walked for a solid half hour before the passage leveled out. Now we were ground level but still the tunnel went on however there was a dim source of light at the end. We started walking quicker. Once we reached the light I was surprised to see that we were actually next to the hellmouth. To our right were wall should have been there was a giant jagged hole revealing that we were hundreds of feet below the surface. We now stood in a wide cavernous corridor that continued to go forward. It was oddly silent and there were no hive anywhere. We continued forward slowly. "Not to scare you guys but I'm tracking the sword by the light of the guardians its killed and its close. " my ghost said as we walked. Eventually the corridor narrowed into a small hallway. There was a door to our left with chains and odd glowing green symbols covering it. Alec stepped forward as if to reach out to it and the chains disintegrated and the door slid open.

Beyond the door was an odd room. It was large and cavernous, like the corridor. There were platforms along the walls and in the middle of the room was a circular arena. To our right there was another door but it was sealed shut. In the center of the circular room there was a floating stone sword. The second I stepped into the room I my skin tingled. Something about this room wasn't right, as if a dark energy rested here. I got the feeling that this room was not supposed to exist. "That's the sword. I can feel it." Alec's ghost said as it materialized in front of him. I looked back over at the massive floating sword. It appeared ancient and had hive symbols carved into the stone. There were dried red bloodstains that covered the blade from top to bottom. Most disturbing of all was the edge. You couldn't really see were the edge was, rather there was a needle thin black line that surrounded it and shimmered, as if the sword was cutting the air around it. The more I studied it the more fascinated I became. I took my helmet off to get a better look. Every inch of the blade almost shimmered with power. Despite it being ancient and bloodstained it was beautiful and perfect. I walked slowly closer to the masterpiece that was glowing in front of me. It seemed like it wanted me to grasp it, I could feel it yearning to me. As I reached out to grab it someone somewhere distant called out to.  I shrugged the voice off and clasped the sword in my hand.

At first it felt like it shocked me but that feeling was soon replaced as an icy cool sensation traveled up my arm. As this feeling spread throughout my body it took away all of my weariness and pain, leaving me refreshed and energized. My vision blurred then changed to a greenish hue. I could feel the sword hungering for something to sink itself into. The longer I held it the more the swords hunger became my own. Suddenly the room exploded with the roar of the hive. Doors opened everywhere around the room and through them hive poured out. Thrall began surrounding me. The sword beckoned me to slay them and so I jumped into the mass of thrall. I slashed and swung the sword through the hive as if they were nothing. With every swipe one of them fell. With every kill the hunger was quenched and then expanded. Every kill made me hungrier for more death. As the sword cut through the hive I could feel their life forces being consumed by the sword and it felt almost euphoric. Soon the thrall gave way to alcolytes who put up more of a fight but they too fell to my blade. Soon my thoughts drifted and time passed by in a blur and I lost track of what I was doing. I closed my eyes and opened them. I was now standing in front of the crowd of dead slaughtered hive. Black blood dropped off my sword as I stepped over the bodies. The room was now devoid of life save for one lone figure in the center. The sword now hungered for this one even more strongly than it do for the hive. I approached the person ready to add them to the slaughter when I heard another roar from behind me. I turned around to see a massive hive knight, at least 15 feet tall, rise up out of a black puddle. It raised its sword and roared again as if to challenge me. I raised my sword and it charged.

The knight closed in fast and as soon as it was close enough it tried to swing it sword to cut off my head. I ran towards the sword and ducked and slid, spinning as I did and slashed out at the behemoths legs. It collapsed to one knee and I took the opportunity to jump on its back. I swiped its other arm to try and hit me off but it missed. I clambered up its back and raised my sword above its head. I slammed the sword down to the hilt into the knights skull and felt its life drain into the sword. As it did I let out a moan of pleasure from the feeling of killing the knight. My pleasure was short lived however as I heard the roars of two new knights behind me. I ripped the sword from the dead knight skull and faced the other two. Both of them were significantly smaller standing just a few feet taller than me. Both of them eyed me standing on the back of their dead comrade and roared. One started running at me and the other followed suit. This time the knight slammed the sword down as if to chop me in half but I spun, holding my sword out as I did to cut across its stomach. Before I could see how much I had wounded the first knight, the second one swung its sword at me. It narrowly missed me and I jabbed my own sword deep into its chest. It's life drained into the sword and once more pleasure surged into me. Then the first knight started getting up so I pulled the sword from the dead hive and swung towards the second one. It moved its arm to block it so instead of beheading it I merely chopped off its sword arm. As its massive arm and sword cluttered to the ground it roared in pain. Then I shoved my sword into its gaping jaw until I felt it break through its neck. I pulled the sword back and it fell dead to the floor. I took a moment to enjoy myself from the pride of the massacre before focusing my attention once more on the lone figure in the room. Still it stood motionless as if waiting to be killed. I approached with my sword raised, ready to land the killing blow. Right before I attacked I focused in on my victims face. It seemed so familiar even though I did not know who it was. I tried to recall why this face was so familiar when it opened its mouth to speak. "Ashley stop!" It screamed frantically. Alec's scream broke me from my trance. Now I noticed that he had his rifle pointed at me and he looked like he'd seen a ghost. "What?" I mumbled out in confusion. Then I looked around me to see hive that had been cut to pieces by some monster through the room. Hive that had been cut to prices by me.