ii. dark lips

[dedicated to @torturous because she's an amazing soul]

1 YEAR AND 11 MONTHS AGO

                I tried to escape the arguments at our house that were breaking out between Waylon and me, but whatever I did, it only got me more involved. I'll admit it, we were arguing over the smallest of things. I'm sorry that I wanted to leave this pointless place.

Meanwhile, I walked upon the edge of a metal gate that had a 'No Entry' sign on it. The sky was amber with a tint of yellow breaking through the clouds whilst the heat shimmered onto the surface of my skin.

I was alone in an abandoned skate park, it was Tuesday and I was missing school.

Ever since we ran away last month Waylon and I had to get homeschooled. I hated it. Not for the simple reason of it being "school".

Who cares? I wanted to be alone. I missed the feel of clean air and the silence of the planet.

Art was one of the only things that kept me sane throughout my life; it helped me scribble out all of my emotions into one place so I could scrunch up the paper holding my sadness and throw it into the pits of hell. It helped me cope.

This morning I drew the Earth, on fire.

I then scrunched up the paper and flushed it down the toilet.

Back to reality, I closed my eyes and breathed in. I let the cool air brush over my eyelids.

God, that feels good.

"Hey." I heard a female voice say casually, behind me.

I opened my eyes without a second thought and spun around as quick as I could - trying not to slip off the rail - to see a girl with long brunette hair, pale skin, and dark lipstick layered onto her lips.

I was so starstruck at her appearance I forgot about what I was standing on and immediately lost my balance and fell off the railing.

"Woah, are you okay?" She laughed discretely, amused at my stupidity.

I looked up at her slowly and nodded - rubbing my neck - then laughed awkwardly with her, slightly embarrassed. She jumped off the railing with her huge combat boots hitting the ground and held her hand out offering to help me up.

She had rather small hands: her fingers were the perfect length and her nails short and were coated in scarlet red.

I gave in to my nerves and grabbed it and she helped me get up, and then shook my hand after I wiped my dirty hands on the back of my jeans. I was lost for words - as usual. I opened my mouth but then closed it knowing I'd probably say something pointless and embarrass myself in front of this mysterious girl.

I looked into her eyes. They were a dark hazel, and matched her dark painted lips, making them stand out even more.

Her skin felt soft. Like her dark brown eyes.

"The names Alicia." She smiled. A sweet smile.

"River.", I couldn't help smiling along with her.

"I like that name. You from around here?" She said, climbing back onto the rail but instead sitting on it.

"Yeah." But I immediately realized what I was saying, "Well, no. I moved here like 3 weeks ago." I replied, shrugging. I looked down at my shoes whilst I rubbed the end of my foot along the stony concrete.

"Oh, well you sure will like it around here." She smiled, looking up at the sky and inhaling, "It's beautiful here."

I watched her as she threw her head into the sky. I watched her hair wave in the wind.