iii. walking travesty

[dedicated to @kaleidoscopic bc i love her and she's so amazing]

PRESENT DAY

August 2013

                              I walked through the dull woods, stepping on the leaves that were in my way, making them create a crunching sound each time. I imagined each leaf being something I hated, so I could destroy them without mercy.

I didn't go to school today and I probably wasn't ever going to go back.

I got into my first fight today.

I breathed in, then out, heavily, trying to absorb as much fresh air as I could. It was good to be alone again.

The light produced by the sun hit through the spaces between each branch of the trees, creating shadows and silhouettes on the ground.

I sighed, then stood on the spot - closing my eyes. With my eyes still shut, I stood on the spot for a while, letting the aggressive wind hit through my vessel.

"There he is." I heard a deep male voice say behind me, filling up all the silence and quietness. I opened my eyes in shock whilst still standing still.

Were they were following me?

"You sure this is him?" Another male voice said.

"Yup."

I heard footsteps slowly walk towards me then paused. It was now I had realized I was breathing heavily and it had felt like my heart was a drum; it was hammering tightly in my chest - but I still stood still.

The crunching of leaves shook my ears as they walked closer and closer towards me.

Suddenly, I felt someone kick me on the back of my right hip with as much force as they could possibly handle. I clutched my stomach, as the pain oozed around my body.

Don't turn around River. Don't.

I felt a trigger go off in my mind. They couldn't do this to me - no one could.

Not anymore.

The anger flowed down my veins and through my blood rapidly.

I felt another hand pull me from my position, pulling me with such force that I tripped over my own foot and fell on my face.

They laughed at me.

This wasn't a fucking joke.

As fast as I could, I shot of the ground but as soon as I managed to stand on my feet, a hand went flying through the wind, coming in the same direction as my face.

It hit me straight in my face and made me clutch my nose with mercy. I felt the blood from my nose flow down my fingers and down my scarred wrists. Suddenly, I felt my eyes burn fire with anger.

But I was too weak and they were too powerful.

"What do you want with me?" I said as angrily as I could, still not daring to look up.

"We all want you dead."

"We all? Who the fuck is 'all'?" I hissed.

Finally, I looked up, but without thought.

My eyes met two middle-aged men, their faces matching the same colour as fresh blood and their fiery eyes glaring at me as I examined them.

I suddenly felt all the blood drawn from my face when I heard what their reply was.