Part 3

It's been two weeks since Captain Ross Poldark and his men have found me

It's been two weeks since Captain Ross Poldark and his men have found me. I have refused to speak to Ross since he tried to get me to spill my secrets and whipped me with his belt. The marks his belt made ripped my skin and bled. The first three days, the marks unbearably hurt. It was now the beginning of April.

I sat quietly in the Parlor room as I watched it rain outside.  Ross sat in a chair on the other side of the room. I shift uncomfortably in my seat. I hadn't told Ross about my back and how bad it actually was. 

Now as I shift in my seat, the back of the chair rubs against my back in such a way I hiss out in pain. 

Ross looks up from his work, frowning with concern

"What is the matter Katrina?" he asks me.

"Nothing." I answers defiantly, not wanted him to know because he'd want to see my back.

"Katrina." he growled in warning tone. 

I don't answer. I go back to staring out the window. I can hear him stand up and the floorboards creak under his weight as he walks over to me. 

I can feel my breath hitch as he gently placing a hand on my shoulder. 

"Are you hurt?" he asks me, voice very quiet. 

I nod without looking away from the window.

"Which of my men hurt you? What did they do to you?" he asks.

I blink back tears as he kneels on the floor in front of me.  I fight the urge to flinch away when he grabs my hands.

"Katrina, please look at me." he says softly. 

I slowly turn my head and look into his dark brown eyes. 

"I- " my voice breaks. I clear my throat and try to start again.

"I'm fine Ross." I say in a small voice. 

"Damn it, Katrina! on't lie to me! I can clearly tell you are in pain so tell me who hurt you!" he yells in frustration.

"You did!" I snap.

My eyes widen when I realize what had just come out of my mouth. One of my hands flies to cover my mouth. 

Ross looks at me with pure shock and confusion. I can see the gears in his mind turn as he tries to figure out how he could have cause me any pain. I see the exact moment he figures it out. 

"Show me." he says so quietly I barely even here it.

"Ross, no. I won't-"

"Show me Katrina." he pleas.

I begin to shake my head no. I can feel the tears begin to fall from my eyes. I get up and try to leave so I can go to my room. But as I pass him he grabs my arm. He moves his body, try to block me from leaving. 

"Let me go." I snap at him.

"Katrina, I'm sorry I never should have-" his voice full of guilt.

"Please Ross. Let me go, please." I whisper as tears continue to fall. 

I gasp as I feel his hand barely brush against the skin on my cheek. He wipes away a tear as it runs down my cheek. 

He then takes a step back, releasing my arm. I hurry out of the room and head straight to my bedroom. 

                                                                      ********************

It was past sunset

It was past sunset. I finally decided to change for bed. I carefully remove my dress, doing my best not to irritate my healing back. I frown when I notice the small blood stains on my chemise in the reflection of my mirror. 

It was at that exact moment Ross decided to come check on me. I see the door open and Ross's shocked expression in the mirror. 

I scrabble for a shawl to cover myself up with. But before I can reach it, Ross is behind me with my back in plain sight. My movements still when his fingers tips graze the tender flesh on my back. 

"Why didn't you tell me it was this bad?" he asks after a few moments.

"I'm your prisoner."  I reply sourly.

"Stay here, I'll be right back." I hear him say before he leaves my room. 

I sit down on the edge of my bed, curious to see what he was going to do when he returned. I was surprised when he came back in with a small bowl of warm water and a clean cloth. He comes to sit on the edge on the bed placing the bowl on the bedside table. He gestures for me to turn around to give him access to clean my wounded back. 

I turn my back to him. I slowly pull my chemise down the reveal my back. I hold my shawl close to my front to make sure I'm fully covered from his eyes. 

At first, his hands move my hair to get a better look at the exposed flesh. Then I feel the soft fabric warm from the water gently dab my skin. He seems to be trying to clean away the blood so he can see just how deep the wounds are. Once are the blood had been cleaned away, I hear an intake of breath. 

"I'm so sorry Katrina." he whispers.