Part 5

It was now late August. Ross and I kept our relationship secret from his men. 

There was tension in the air, the war coming to an end. The Continental Army was close to gaining power over the British. 

I was anxious for it all to be over. I missed my family, but I enjoyed being with Ross. I hope he would understand why I kept my secrets. 

Speaking of secrets, I recently discovered something. It was too early for anyone else to guess at it. 

As I got up and got dressed for the day, I planned on telling Ross. But I was startled out my thoughts at the sound of guns shots.

Staying away from the windows, I run down the stairs searching for Ross. 

From listening I could tell the gunshots were coming from farther away then I first thought. I couldn't see any soldiers from the windows inside the house. 

From the distant shouting, I learn that Continental soldiers had ambushed us. Before I can even stop to think, my feet starting running into the woods. 

Maybe I can stop this. If the Continental soldiers knew who I was I could stop them from harming the British soldiers. I could protect Ross.  

I feel everything slow around me as I spot Ross lying on the ground. 

I run to him and fall to my knees crying. I notice a gunshot wound on his left thigh. 

"Katrina, what are you doing out here? It's not safe." Ross gasps in pain. 

"No, you need me. Let me help you."

"Katrina please-"

"No Ross. How many are out here? What happened?" I ask him as I try tear away the fabric around his wound so I can see how bad it is.

"They're taking us out one by one. Not sure how many there are, but they out number us 3-1." Ross grunts.

I rip a strip of cloth off the bottom of my apron and tie it tightly around Ross's injured leg. My hands are shaking and stained with Ross's blood. 

Ross and I both freeze when we he a twig break behind me. Ross's eyes flick behind me and the way his eyes widen I know it's a Continental soldier.

I slowly turn to see a familiar face. The soldier worked closely with my uncle at the beginning of the war.

"Katrina?" John asks in shock.

"John, thank God." I sigh.

"Katrina, come here. That soldier could attack you." John says keeping his eyes on Ross.

"John, please. Order your men to stand down. Nobody else needs to get hurt." I plea.

"I can't do that. If he hurts you, your uncle will never forgive me." John insists.

"My uncle hasn't seen me in months. I trust him, please Ross has been shot and needs help." I beg.

"Katrina-"

"Don't make me pull rank on you John." I growl. 

"Fine, I'll go order my men to stand down, but you have some explaining to do afterwards." John sighs.

I kneel by Ross as John runs off.

"Katrina, who was he?" Ross frowns.

"He worked with my uncle in the beginning out the war." I reply.

I hear more footsteps,and thinking it's John I don't turn around.

"Good, please come help me. He's been shot in the leg and-"

"Miss, I need you to step away from the British soldier." A Continental solider orders. 

"No, this man needs help." I snap back at him angrily. 

"For your safety Miss, I must insist."

"No." I reply coldly. 

I feel arms pull me up and away from Ross. 

"Let me go!" I yell.

"Please stop struggling Miss." the soldier grunts.

"How dare you? Let go of me!" I shout fuming.

They begin dragging me away further from Ross. I somehow rip myself out of the soldier's grip. 

Instead of running back to Ross, I turn to look at the soldier.

"My name is Katrina Washington and you will follow my orders. Stand down and you will help this injured solider." I say sternly.