Part 7

I left the next morning for York city. I never got the chance to talk to Ross before I left. He was unconscious and still healing. 

When I reached the city, I found myself staying with the Schylars. I quickly became close with Angelica. 

I waited for any news from Ross, but none came. When soldiers from John's unit came to the city, I asked them what had happened. They didn't know.

Nearly two months after arriving to the city, the worst heartbreak any women could endure hit me. I was woken up by a strong pang of pain in my stomach. 

There was so much blood, oh god, so much blood. Angelica was there by my side the whole night, even when the doctor came. I cried for my loss, it felt like I had lost everything. The only thing I had left to remind me of Ross, gone.

Two days later, Angelica came with me to the burial. It was a small unmarked grave. Angelica had bought some wild flowers to leave at the grave.

It took me weeks to get back to normal. Just being around other people made me want to curl up into a ball and cry. No one knew about what happened except for Angelica, the doctor, my aunt Martha, uncle George, and myself. To the rest of the world, they thought I was recovering from being a prisoner of war.