Prologue - "How everything began"

Ahem, today I'm going to tell you the story of the legend of legend, and the present legend.

It all began with the gifts of the Gods to the people of Hyrule; the Triforce. A single (or triple) unit of raw power that blessed the land with riches, and evil. There were some who sought for the power of the Gods and use it for their own evil deeds. One of these no-good evil-doers finally attempted to obtain this legendary power. The people could not stop him, resulting him having control of this marvellous gift. He spread darkness over the land. When the people had given up hope in the Gods, a young boy cloaked in green appeared from almost nowhere. Wielding the sword of evil's bane, the boy cast down the evil one who had threatened the land, and brought peace. The boy was called the "Hero of Time" for he had travelled through time to save Hyrule. Years and then centuries had passed before the evil one who everyone had thought that the Hero of time had cast away, appeared once again. Eager and craving power and destruction, the evil one spread darkness over the land once more. The people had high hopes that the hero of time would once more appear to cast down the evil one; but the Hero did not appear. Stricken and afraid, the people left their lives in the hands of fate. But what had happened to the once so peaceful land? None remain to know.

The Hero did have its spiritual descendants. Sadly very few are this. Until a child by the name of "Link" was born. Though not related to the hero, his spirit and mind was the same as the legendary hero. Through many trials and puzzles, he showed that he was worthy one of the three components of the Triforce; Courage. Making him worthy of wielding the sword of evil's bane; the Master Sword. He originally set out to rescue his sister from the hands of Ganondorf who, in which, he soundly defeated.

Every 1,000 years is a day called the "Age of Shadows" Why does this matter? For it is that Day.