Chapter Six: Iron

JAMES

James sighed, continuing to stare at the voicemail icon on his phone and the unread text messages. His head lied on his desk as he stared at the numbers. Three voicemails. Six messages. And even though there was no name attached to the number, James knew it was Eric.

"You're a traitor," he said.

Unapologetic, Delphine laughed as she whirled around the office. They had a spacious office with tall windows that flooded the place with crisp autumn light. The office itself was a mess of colors and patterns as if a kaleidoscope sneezed and its colorful flakes covered the room. They had shelves of nonsense, witchy things they rarely used, shelves with more crystal balls than they could ever need and one shelf full of romance novels.

One cluttered wall, James did like, was full of pictures of their happy couples and success stories. And like other vampires, William and Julia's new picture was actually a sketch.

"You should just answer it," Peter said. A young client, but an old one. Once at a party, he joked to Delphine that he was 'un-dateable'. She took that as a challenge, but so far no one stuck. Now he came once a week and mostly hung out while Delphine waved pictures of attractive men and women in his face. They once tried conjuring a vision, but both James and Delphine blacked out. Peter shattered four crystal balls.

He sat in-between Delphine's and James' desks, turning towards James. "Tell him you're not interested," Peter offered, naively. There was a softness to Peter, an indescribable gentleness to his face and mannerisms. He seemed soft like cotton, but elegant like silk with his neatly styled hair and large hazel eyes. No matter what, he definitely seemed expensive as if he was a one of a kind collector's item.

"It's not that easy," was all James wanted to say. He still couldn't say it. Not that he was Eric's... mate. He shuddered and hid himself underneath his arms. Why did Eric suddenly reach out anyways? They were perfectly fine ignoring each other and suddenly, James gets a text and a call? How did that make sense?

The curiosity became too much. James picked up his phone.

"Careful, you won't be able to turn back" Delphine sang, taking a file from one of the ugly green cabinets she had covered in magnets. James didn't even know they actually filed anything but coupons for buy one cupcake, get one free.

She was channeling the 50s today wearing a deep ruby blazer and knee length skirt with large black buttons and a big fluffy black shawl. She wore black gloves and pearl earrings. Pearls! She had stressed that morning, today was a glorious day for pearls!

James ignored her and opened the voice mail. James' heart picked up the pace. He was nervous. Actually nervous and his body was betraying him by letting him know it. He wished he had a quieter heartbeat.

"James," Eric said, his voice so deep James could probably throw a penny and make wish. "I apologize for calling you out of the blue, but I had discussed our situation..."

Situation, he said. Why does Eric have to say the most unromantic things on the planet? He made everything sound cold and uncomfortable. He had all the makings of a brilliant match full of warmth and desire, but time and time again he proved he was merely a dud. It was like taking a bite out of a rich chocolate cake, but only tasting a mouthful of salt.

Eric went on, "...with the pack and I've realized that we should explore our relationship further. Please call me at your earliest convenience."

James grimaced and tossed his phone back on the desk. "This is what I'm talking about!" He declared, so aggravated he could throw the phone straight out the window. He suckered himself into listening to that message and he shouldn't have expected no more or less from a werewolf. The pack. They had nothing to do with each other and he was already calling on the pack.