Chapter Eight: Bronze

ERIC

After a week, Eric had been upgraded from total prick to carpool buddy. Every night, after Eric finished his endless meetings and James finished work, Eric drove James home. It was a forty-minute drive that sometimes felt like five minutes, like the night James told a wonderful and embarrassing story about Frances that Eric could use later.

Some drives felt like forever, like when James wore a sweater without an undershirt. Eric never noticed anyone's collar bone before, until he saw James' collarbone and it was like discovering whiskey all over again. So good, but so bad for him.

Freckles, he also noticed more freckles. Freckles even wandered below James' collar and with them, Eric's mind wandered lower and he couldn't say anything to James at all that night, which only increased the tension. Sometimes Eric's nerves were so great, he threatened to rip apart and ruin yet another rental car.

"You're ten minutes late," Marcy, at the front desk, smirked that night. She flipped the next page of her calculus textbook. Highlighters littered her desk and two sat behind her ears. She glanced up at him, "Trying not to seem desperate? Good for you."

"Always a pleasure Miss Butler," Eric sighed and ignored her as part of their typical ritual. As Eric grabbed the handles to the office, Marcy had to yank his chain one more time. "I don't know why James doesn't want to date a werewolf, you guys are so easily whipped."

Eric bent the handle, leaving an impression of his fingers into the brass. With a sigh to control the heat in his chest, he walked inside and slowly closed the door behind him. Delphine was sitting at her desk, a rare sight, wearing a pair of cat eye glasses. The lamp on her desk was the only source of light, casting a golden glow over one-half of her face.

"Hello darling," Delphine attempted a smile. The air was different tonight, calmer than usual. There was a new stillness that didn't sit well in Eric's stomach. James sat hunched over his desk as he laid on top of his arms. He was asleep, totally at peace.

Eric shrugged off his jacket and draped it over James' shoulders. He wasn't in a rush to leave. Eric took his normal seat in-between their desks. James kept a book for him on the edge of his desk to provide entertainment.

He picked up the book, trying to throw himself back into the story. The matchmakers only possessed romance novels. James picked out a historical one for him that was relatively interesting, but Eric had read the same line over and over again. He wasn't focused. His eyes were drawn to something much more appealing. Eric laid his head on his shoulder, settling his head on the chair. He watched James breathe softly, which managed to relax Eric in a way only a mate could. He knew that. The anxiety he had when they were apart, faded away.

Eric stifled a laugh. Who knew James could be sort of lovely with his mouth shut? He reached out, smoothing James' hair back. Thank god he didn't get hurt in that car accident. That was still killing him. Eric didn't think. If he was going to be the Alpha, he couldn't fly off the handle like that. Not again.

Delphine sighed and Eric retracted his hand. He turned as she rubbed the bridge of her nose. His brow narrowed. "Is everything alright Delphine?"

She froze as if she forgot he was there. Melting into her open hand, she leaned against her desk and smiled. "We're alright. Thank you..." She looked at James and a wrinkle of worry formed between her brows.

"You can trust me," Eric assured her, hoping she'd tell him the truth.

Yet, she waved him off and laughed as best as she could. He could feel her exhaustion. "Don't worry so much darling, you'll grow wrinkles too soon. Why don't you two go ahead? He's had five visions today. Take him so he can collapse someone more comfortable, preferably his bed."