t h i r t e e n

|Thirteen|

|Thirteen|

We walked a little further until we reached a wooden bench placed under an archway of blooming roses. Their petals red and full of life.

How sweet.

I felt like my mind was overheating once more. There was so much to think over. So much to second guess. 

Was there a reason as to why Lucifer was acting so sweet and kind towards me? Or was this his attempt at swooning me? Did he want to be nice or was he trying to gain something? Was I another trophy to be added to his vast collection? Another jewel to the crown? Was it not a bit soon? I mean thinking about it, we haven't known each other that long.

You've known each other for almost two weeks now. My conscience said.  

"Isn't it crazy? Lucifer mumbled, leaning back to look at the clear sky. "How the Fates have sent many angels down to the Underworld all to complete a mission yet only one angel has come close." he leant closer, "It's my way of saying I can stand your presence Charmeine. you aren't half bad."

Silence settled like the falling of rose petals. It took a few brutal moments of silence for his words and their meanings to kick in and take their punch. And that is why you should never open your heart in the direction of the Devil. He'll only bruise your heart.

Half bad? Is that all I was? Somebody Lucifer could stand? But what was I expecting? For Lucifer to have changed just for me? Yeah - not going to happen. I sat in complete silence, not able to add anything to the conversation. Lucifer sat next to me blissfully unaware of the rocked emotions he had caused me.

I was stupid. Of course, I was. Why would I think for one second that Lucifer was in the same boat as I was? That was asking for too much, wasn't it?

Stop with the rhetorical questions Charmeine. You're stating facts.

"Want to play questions?" Lucifer asked, "I don't know that much about you."

Do you even care? I wanted to say back.

"Sure. Okay."

"Favourite colour?"

"Really?" I asked, a faint smile on my lips. He may be a careless arsehole but he could still make me smile.

"You have to start somewhere," Lucifer replied, "so what is it?"

"Blue. You?"