Chapter VI

Weeks passed, June and July came and went with Brian and Roger gladly taking time to celebrate one another's birthdays and inviting them in for a small celebration back at their flat before they'd take up the rest of that day with their partner. Freddie had recovered from his virus within another week after he had first come down with it, and to John's own slight dismay, he hadn't found any other source of evidence that Bret was indeed cheating on their singer with that other man he had seen him with not too long ago. It was nearing the middle of August and he had managed to go to the corner store as often as he could, hoping that he'd catch the two of them there again or even in the restaurant across the street, just so that he had another shred of evidence to convince himself that he had seen what he had seen and could try to bring it up to their frontman. But he got nothing of the sort.

He slammed the door to their building behind him, frustration searing through his veins at the failed attempt to try and catch him in the act. Why was it so hard to see him again? It was almost as if as soon as Freddie recovered, Bret was never seen around here again. Oddly enough, Freddie hadn't brought him over as soon as he did get over his illness. Once he could function properly again, he was out and about as long and as often as he could. He must have gotten sick of him treating him like a helpless child over the course of almost two weeks and was glad to get away from him, even though now he was left with an empty void once again that left him to doing meaningless things throughout the house or lazing around doing absolutely nothing. Songwriting didn't help, he could be bothered to think of anything to write for any songs at the moment anyway, and Roger hadn't managed to pick up on his new obsessive attitude over Bret and Freddie's relationship. Like it would even help him if he did. He'd just beg him to not bring anything up to Freddie to ensure that he would be safe from any emotional damage if he did find out.

What am I even doing? I'm wasting my damn time trying to catch this guy because I want to convince myself that I've got some shot with Freddie again if he breaks up with him over this. I've already lied to the poor thing because of what I already saw and what the hell am I going to do if I do catch him doing something with another person? You don't have the nerve to go and rat him out to Brian, let alone to Freddie...

As he made his way up to their door, he grabbed his keys from his pocket, growling in annoyance as he tried to find it beneath the clutter he'd thrown inside of his coat.

"Come on Fred, I was just angry, don't tell me you've never done bad things if you've gotten upset with someone."

"Twice?" Freddie asked with a slight bitter tone.

"Like it's that bad. I wasn't too rough and I was just angry, alright? You're blowing it out of proportion, just like you do with everything else." Bret told him in a challenging voice. "Think rationally for once. I'm sorry, okay?"

He heard the couch creak as one of them shifted around on top of it. He dug his nails into the wooden door, threats seeping into his mind if he so much as touched Freddie in any damned way with him around. The two continued their conversation in hushed tones, John pressing his face even harder against the door to try and catch anything that they were saying.

Suddenly, the couch creaked loudly, Freddie's stunned yelp coming out from behind the door. He jumped back, quickly turning the key inside the lock, trying to prevent him from going any further with what he had planned with their frontman. As he opened the door, Freddie's eyes flashed over to him as he tugged his sleeve down lower, trying his best to hide a patch of red skin from his view. Once again he was keeping the side of his face away from his view as Bret nervously looked away from his own partner and let his hand fall down to the couch, trying his best to pull a weak smile to settle the uneasy air he'd walked into. Eventually he released the harsh hold he had around Freddie's wrist, the crimson mark on his skin slowly starting to appear.