one ; reminiscing

My life had been a sequence of boring occurrences

I had began to work under my father's employment in marketing this past month, sleeping with women that showed up in my cubicle every few days. I had finished my English degree this past May and applied for a teaching position in a nearby high school, which I would fill in this coming fall. I had adopted my first animal: a fish named Stewart. Though while these events were unfolding, I continued to crave something more.

My life was not meaningful, to say the least.

My family had opened their doors for me after my four year education, which I was thankful for. The old house creaked with old memories and rang with old conversations from my youth. I spent time walking through the nostalgic house at times just to reminisce on what had been, what could have been.

Is that an abnormal thing to wonder: could you ever truly met the universe's standards? My family was concerned about me, which was nothing but surprising. They had kept a close eye on me since my reckless teenage years, which I had spent dwindling away with a wine bottle.

It was July, summer was now in full swing with the breeze rippling the warm lake water and the sun radiating over the newly bloomed flowers.
And so, this is how it starts.

"Matthew! Get up! We are meeting the Tanner's at the lake this afternoon for a picnic—are you listening to me? Up!"

I groaned at the sound of mothers screeching from downstairs and conformed into the plush covers once more. My mind easily released all other thoughts, succumbing to blissful sleep.

My mother, a kind-hearted woman, had spent most of her lifetime being dependent on other men as well as her peers. She was found with other woman most of the time, discussing over tea about their children's where-abouts as well as their accomplishments. The most my mother could ever discuss about me was that I excelled in my music classes (the only thing I excelled in during my high school years).

It was not until I heard the faint sound of stomping up the stairs and my mothers angry mumbling that I began to think about getting out from under the covers. Knowing she was about to approach my room, I swiftly got out of my messy nest and walked towards the dresser on the other side of my room. "Matthew I told you to—" my mother irruptly stopped as she opened the door to see me already out of bed. "Oh, you've woken up," she stated happily, holding a bathing suit and towel. I snorted at her reaction and continued to look in my drawers for something to wear.

"Here, put your swim trunks on, we're meeting the Ryder's at the lake," my mum stated, throwing the clothing at me. I caught it and shook my head, "I don't plan on swimming."

It was her turn to snort as well as put her hands on her hips. "You don't have to swim, Matty. It's going to be hot, so I would suggest putting the trunks on with a shirt so you don't pass out from heat exhaustion. Plus, young Daisy will be there; she might want you to hang out with her," she stated, plucking articles of dirty clothing from my floor.