three ; best friend

(listen to Best Friend by Rex Orange County at 1:38 when I put $)

I'm fucked.

"Matthew! We are heading over now! Are you ready my dear?" my mother called from down the staircase. I groaned, wanting that voice to be the last thing I would be hearing for the rest of the night.

I was standing in front of my mirror, examining my outfit. We had promised the Ryder's we would accompany them at dinner after our beach trip, to my distaste.

After a day of having to endure the pain of watching little, innocent Daisy prance around the sand in her tiny bathing suit, all I wished to do was...well, keep to myself. Maybe watch a movie, play some music...maybe do other things.

I smoothed out my black sweater and did one last take in the mirror. I had paired a knitted black jumper with the usual black jeans and boots. My unkept hair was pushed back from my face, and since I was in the mood to not be blind for once, I slid on my prescriptions. The dorky Matty was alive and well tonight.

"I'm coming!" I exclaimed, grabbing my box of fags and shoving them in my back pocket before clambering down the narrow stairs. Feeling the box in my pocket gave me reassurance. Once I reached the bottom of the staircase, I was met with my mothers sour face. She dressed rather nice in a dress and all, her short hair styled and her nails painted a fiery red, her favorite. With a wave of her hand, she motioned for me to follow her out of the door and towards the house next door.

It was quite chilly, so the sweater selection was an A+. "You look nice Matthew," my mother complimented, which was quite odd for her. Usually, she only had something negative to comment when it came to my day-to-day attire. "Erm, thanks," I replied, stifling out a cough as my eyes were trained on the ground below us. The rest of the walk was silent, being that the house next door wasn't too far to get to. Before I could reach out to ring the doorbell, my mom swatted my hand away and pointed her bright fingernail at me. "Listen Matty, if anything strange happens tonight between Mr. and Mrs. Ryder, please don't say anything. I know this is your first dinner with them since you and Daisy's childhood, so don't be surprised that things are different," my mother explained, her voice harsh and serious.

"What do you-"

"I'm serious. I know you like to get snarky, but not tonight. Be polite for Daisy, she gets a uncomfortable in the situation sometimes," she interrupted. Did this happen frequently?

Before I could question mum any further, she rung the doorbell of the Ryder's home. Without a second to wait, Mrs. Carol swung the door open. "Welcome!" she exclaimed, opening her arms to invite my mother in for an embrace as if they didn't just see each other three hours ago.

As they hugged, I peered inside of the dimly lit home. From the entrance I was able to see the long dining room table and Mr. Ryder's cold face reading a novel. The man was quite intimidating, with his sharp features and stone-like facials. The family was definitely blessed with good looks, that was for sure. Once examining the room further, I noticed something, or rather someone, was missing. Daisy was no where to be seen.

"Come inside," the woman said, opening the door more for us to walk in. "Matty, Daisy is upstairs in her room, most likely listening to some of her strange music. Kids these days," she said, rolling her eyes at the last sentence and snorting slightly. My mother forced out a laugh, throwing her head back for added effect.

She really thought that was good, that she truly got Daisy. I was not amused.

"Anyway, could you possibly get her down here? She would most likely rather see you than me either way. Thanks dear!" the woman exclaimed, grabbing my mother's arm and leading her into the kitchen area without waiting for my response. Knowing what I had to do, I sighed, letting my feet lazily carry themselves up the stairs.

Once reaching the second floor, I searched for any indication of what room Daisy's would be. To my luck, all of the doors were white and the same. I decided to go up to each of them and listen to see if I heard anything, seeing that the young girl was most likely listening to music.

After only a few seconds, I was able to make out the faint sound of humming and singing. ($)

"You better trust me when I tell you there ain't no one else more beautiful in this damn world!" someone sang, their voice coinciding with a males. "In this damn world..." they continued, they being the one and only Daisy Ryder.

I made my way over towards the voice at the end of the hall, making sure to not make any sort of noise. "You're gonna wanna be my best friend baby," the little songstress mumbled, the wood flooring creaking slightly most likely due to dancing.
I knocked once, waiting for a reply to no avail. I tried once more, speaking up while doing so. "Da-Daisy?" I asked, my voice failing me miserably. No one responded, so I hesitantly opened the door slightly, ready to close it if need be.

Inside the room was a dancing Daisy, twirling to the sounds of Rex Orange County blasting through her bluetooth speakers. "You're gonna wanna be my best friend baby," she sang, her eyes closed as she danced sloppily to the melody. She let her arms swing above her head as her hips moved from side to side. I couldn't help but chuckle at the young girls dance moves.

Once the song concluded, I clapped from my spot leaning against the doorframe. She jumped at the noise and stumbled slightly in embarrassment. Her cheeks brightened as she pushed her curly hair behind her ears. "You could've knocked you know," she mumbled, not meeting my eyes.

I snorted, "I tried, but you were too entranced with the music," I retorted, smirking at Daisy's face drop. "Did you really?"

I nodded, she groaned.

"Sorry about that," she mumbled, turning off her speakers and pulling down her rather short skirt. "Don't apologize, it was quite adorable," I responded, instantly regretting the words that had left my mouth.

Luckily for me, she didn't get hung up on my thoughtless comment.

"So you know them, Rex Orange County?" she asked, nervously playing with her fingers. "Yeah, I've listened to them a few times," I responded, trying my absolute fucking hardest to not stare at her figure. She had on a tight little white cropped top that buttoned up to her neckline paired with a black skater skirt. She only had pink, frilly socks on her feet, which made the girl seem even more innocent.

I'm sure she's far from it.

Our silence engulfing me, I cleared my throat and motioned for the door. "Your mum wanted me to get you to come down," I explained, inching towards the door to escape the situation. She nodded, shoving some ballet flats onto her feet and then scurrying out of her room.

If I thought I could get away with not having to smoke tonight, then I was wrong. With Daisy in front of me with that little skirt on, I would need a whole pack to get me through dinner.

-

i'll edit this later. wazzam.