Chapter One; A Broken Nose.

Doctor Dwight Ennis gladly took the spare change from his client, noticing it was the last of the man's money. Nodding to the man he straddled his fine horse and galloped away, a slight smile on his face. Clients never gave him money for his services, simply because they didn't have enough of it to give to another. He was ever so grateful when he did get a few pennies as he knew how much his clients needed it, yet they were gracious enough to give it to him.

He galloped through the tall grass, the rough Cornish sea's glinting in the horizon. His worries left him, rushing through the cold winds leaving a full smile on his lips.

"Dwight."

He turned to see a familier face, a dear friend Demelza. Married to the honourable Ross Poldark. Shared owner of the local mine named Grace.

"Demelza, are you well?" He asks polietly, earning a bright smile from the young lass.

"Ay, I am."

Her long, unruly, ginger hair flows past his shoulders, ruffling in the strong breeze.

"How is Ross, is the mine successful?" Dwight asks, knowing that Grace didn't have the best of luck with high selling ores.

"Only coal to be found, no copper to be seen anywhere." Demelza answers, sighing.

"Tell Ross I hope for the best, as for you, I bid you farewell." The doctor says, nodding at Demelza and leading his horse onwards.

His horse trots gracefully through the village, the sun setting behind him. The cobbled streets appear empty, the lit candles in each house glaring through the glass windows onto the thick stone. An eerie feeling washes over Dwights clever brain, convincing him of a bad event to happen in the near future. Confused by this he slows his horse, checking his surroundings.

A sudden scream echoes on the small street, causing Dwight's horse to panic. He regains control of his steed and gallops towards the deafening sound, reaching the source quickly. He watches in confusion as a man slips into the shadows, leaving a young lady, around the same age as he, laying on the hard cobblestone. Blood trickles down her face, particularly her fragile nose. Dismounting his horse he hurries over to the girl placing his large hand under her head.

"Can you hear me?" He asks in a clear voice, noticing the slight, pained nod from the girl.

He steadily lifts the girl from the floor, carrying her in his strong yet gentle arms and carefully mounts his horse once more, trotting the short distance to the Doctor's house.

He lays her on the patient bed in his small house, checking her face for major injuries or blood loss.

"Where am I, who are you sir?" The girl mumbles, her jaw clenching with the pain.

"I am Doctor Enys, you are in the patient room in my house. Do you feel any pain in any part of your body other than your head?" He asks, taking bandages from a cupboard and wrapping it around his patients head, being careful not to press too hard.

"I can't feel anything but a sharp pain in my nose, Doctor."

He sighs, furrowing his eyebrows. He places a finger on the bridge of her nose, feeling the bone underneath her pale skin. He nods to himself, moving the tip of her nose with his fingers swiftly, setting the bone in place.

She yelps in pain, her breathing quickened rapidly, then steadies. Her crystal blue eyes fall shut, unconscious from the shock.

Dwight checks her temperature then leaves the room, sure of the patients wellbeing.

He soon falls into a deep sleep, worn out from the long day of caring for the ill and injured villagers.