Halloween

The smell of pumpkin pie and nutmeg wafted around the castle. Mouthwatering dishes were placed on the tables in the Great Hall. The chill outside was no match for the roaring fire indoors. Yes, it was Halloween at Hogwarts.

Excited chatter echoed as the students tucked into a multitude of treats. Toffee apples; éclairs; and treacle tart to name but a few. It was something that no student would ever dream of missing.

Except for Harry James Potter.

For Harry, Halloween was anything but enjoyable. To him it felt like everyone was celebrating his parents death. He refused to be reminded of the void in his heart that Halloween had given him.

So he sat. Alone in his dormitory, trying to block out the thoughts that wound their way through his brain. Malicious, cruel thoughts, spreading ice through his veins and causing the flame within his soul to flicker.

How he wished that his friends or his boyfriend were here to distract him from his mind. To stop the repetitive mantra telling him that nobody loved him. That nobody would care if he disappeared.

But they weren't. They didn't want to miss the festivities of the evening. The joyous cheer so far away from Harry's delirium was far more appealing to those closest to the boy. They went like moths to the huge, open fire, and ignored the small flame that was about to go out.

As the thoughts got darker the flame dimmed a little more and still his friends or Draco did not appear. The more dull he became, the less they were drawn to him. If he could only hold out until midnight it would all be over for another year.

A cold sweat broke out on Harry's skin. It only dampened the little flame, which was struggling to stay alight. It was not yet ten o'clock.

He needed Draco. To breath life back into his soul and heart and body. With Draco everything seemed less gloomy. Draco had enough fuel to keep Harry's fire burning. But where was Draco when he needed him? He too was partaking in the feast, which Harry hadn't had the heart to ask him to miss.

Draco was not here and wouldn't be for a long time.

It was not yet ten o'clock but the flame flickered one final time, and went out.

A/N: Happy Halloween guys! I know it's short but I quite like it. It's sort of poetic. But don't fear! I will be posting another oneshot tomorrow to make up for my absence. Feel free to drop me a request or comment. I love talking to you guys (which is weird because I usually hate socialising) and always try to respond as quickly as possible. Alright I'm done. See you soon, Rose Xx