Chapter 19

The class concluded, and Dusty thought she had safely redeemed her lateness, so she collected her things together and prepared to leave, but Miss Dunne made her way over to her desk and stood before it forebodingly.

"You were late again." Her voice was cold.

"I'm so, so sorry," Dusty groveled. "My alarm didn't go off, and I was running late."

"You're a mess."

"Yeah, I didn't get a chance to get myself together," Dusty explained her shabby attire and ran a regretful hand through her still-damp hair.

"Well, I suggest you get yourself together and quickly," Miss Dunne warned. "You're better than this, Dusty."

"Yeah, yes, I know."

"Start being the woman you want to become." Miss Dunne's instructions resonated in Dusty, and she found herself thinking of Valentine.

Remembering how much she'd believed in her, how she'd risked everything to get her to Princeton, how much she'd supported her, how much she loved her. What would she think if she could see her now? Burning with betrayal, Dusty rose up and nodded emphatically at Miss Dunne. "I promise that I'm going to get my act together."

"Good, make sure that you do."

**** 

"I can't believe that all your classes are early," Ashley moaned beneath the covers as Dusty pottered around their bedroom, getting herself ready. "You are so unlucky," Ashley murmured sleepily.

"Yeah, it sucks," Dusty agreed as she threw on a hooded top and shoved her textbook into her backpack. "Next semester I'll have to follow your lead and only take afternoon classes."

"It's the only way to do college," Ashley said, her voice muffled by the bedding that embraced her.

"Sure is." Dusty sighed, glancing longingly at the bed she'd previously vacated after only four hours' sleep.

"Aren't you tired?" Ashley asked, yawning on cue.

"Just a bit," Dusty admitted. Her limbs already ached with fatigue, her mind struggling to be alert, and the lure of more sleep preventing her thoughts from having complete clarity.

"It was worth it, though." Ashley finally emerged from the duvet and sat up to look directly at her friend. Ashley's dark locks tangled madly around her head, and the makeup from the previous night was strewn wildly down her cheeks, making her look like a demented clown.

"You're a mess." Dusty laughed.

"I feel a mess," Ashley croaked, her voice hoarse.

"I'm not surprised. I lost you halfway through the night, and you weren't here when I crept in to bed at three. I began to wonder if you'd even make it back here."

"Well, ta-dah, here I am," Ashley tried to sound dramatic but lacked the energy to do so.

"So what happened with Tad?" Dusty asked, glancing briefly at the clock to make sure that she still had time to stand and gossip.

"Urgh," Ashley groaned and fell back into her bedding.

"Guess you didn't see his motorcycle, then?" Dusty teased.

"Let's just say that I'm still looking for my Kyera." Ashley sighed.

"Kyera isn't so perfect."

"Isn't she?" Ashley propped herself up again with her right arm, yawning again as she did so. "You're totally hung up on her," she continued. "Whenever you think about her you get this goofy smile on your face."