Chapter 23

After watching both Sex and the City movies and drinking more wine, the girls were lying on the floor of the lounge area. Outside, darkness had crept in, smothering the campus in the emptiness of night. "I just can't believe she didn't call," Dusty admitted, slurring her words.

"I know," Ashley agreed.

"I mean, how hard is it to call someone?"

"Not hard at all. And you called her ."

"So many times. Too many times. I started to feel like a freaking stalker." Dusty giggled.

"You need to forget her ," Ashley instructed, her eyes focused on the ceiling, which seemed impossibly far away.

"I know."

"Forget her and move on."

"Yes."

"Pretend she never existed."

"Okay..."

"She's dead to you." Ashley's anger was intensifying.

"Want me to also kill her puppy?" Dusty laughed. This made Ashley giggle too.

"No, let's avoid bunny boiler territory." Ashley smiled. They continued to lie on the floor, the CD player they'd previously turned on belting out Demi Lovota's latest album, but neither of them were really listening.

"Why is the ceiling spinning like that?" Dusty asked.

"I don't know. I was trying to figure it out."

"We should really get to bed," Dusty decided, trying to clamber up to her feet and failing, sliding back onto her bottom, much to Ashley's delight.

"You're drunk." Ashley laughed.

"No drunkerer than you." Dusty leveled an accusing finger at her friend, which wobbled in the air as though it had a mind of its own.

"Drunkerer, that's not even a word." Ashley giggled.

"It so is."

"Isn't."

Dusty was smiling. It felt good to smile, to not be alone anymore. Finally being able to discuss Kyera felt like a massive weight had been lifted off her shoulders, and she felt light and free.

Eventually, after several attempts, she managed to stand up as a particularly high-energy song began to play. Uneasily, Dusty began to sway back and forth before breaking into more of a shimmy.

"What are you doing?" Ashley laughed, still lying on the floor.

"I'm dancing. I feel like dancing."

"I want to dance too." Ashley tried to get up but couldn't. "Dusty, help me up," she pleaded. Dusty came over and let Ashley grab on to her arms, but rather than help her friend up, she got pulled down so that they were both on the floor in a crumpled heap.

"Wow, we are too cool." Ashley laughed.

"I hurt my leg," Dusty moaned, making a face of faux pain.

"I'm glad I'm back," Ashley admitted in a rare moment of sincerity, the frivolity of the evening fading briefly.

"I'm glad you're back too. I really missed you." The girls hugged, knowing in their hearts that they would always be the best of friends.

"Kyera doesn't deserve you," Ashley said.

"I know." Dusty sighed. "Does Pierre have a sister?" she teased.

"Haha, no."

"I'd settle for a cousin."

"I bet you would."