Chapter 4

This book, along with the rest of The Wrath of the Northmen series is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes and Kobo.

As she stepped into the infirmary, Falen started in surprise.

The man she’d rescued was sitting up in bed, sipping a cup of marjoram tea. He looked up and smiled, showing a row of gleaming white teeth. Falen walked hesitantly into the room. Could this really be the half-dead man she’d brought to Variss? The man’s cheeks were rosy with good health, his eyes bright and clear.

Falen approached the bed. “Er… Hello. I’m Falen. How are you feeling?”

The man set the cup down, crossed his arms over his chest and inclined his head in a half-bow. 

“I know who you are, Princess. I’m feeling much better, thanks to you. The doctors say I need rest, nothing more.”

Falen pulled over a chair and sat by his bed. “I’m glad. I was worried you might have swallowed too much water.”

A shadow passed over his face. “Yes, I was sure my time was up. But the Lords of Life sent you to save me. I’m a stupid old man, Princess. One who thinks it’s safe to go wandering in the mountains when he knows nothing of the terrain!”

“The Lords of Life? Are they your gods? So you are a priest, then?”

“Not a priest,” he said, showing Falen the crescent-shaped amulet hanging round his neck. “Only a monk. From Esclede. I came to Variss to spread the words of the Lords of Life and to hopefully set up a new chapter.” He smiled wryly. “I had not planned on ending my days here. My name is Nashir.”

Falen nodded. “Well, I’m glad I could help you, Nashir. Why did you go into the mountains? It’s not really safe to go without a guide.”

“Oh, I realize that now. Why did I go? Curiosity. I wished to see the Lords of Life’s creations up close. Have you ever been to Esclede?”

Falen shook her head.

“Ah, then you wouldn’t know that there are no mountains in my homeland. We have sand. Lots of it. In Esclede the horizons stretch forever. When I came to Variss, the sight of those towering peaks took my breath away.” He grinned at her. “Tell me, are princesses in Variss in the habit of throwing themselves into rivers after silly old men?”

Falen shrugged. “Not normally. But most would say I’m not a normal princess.”

He nodded. “Oh, most assuredly. Princess Falen the Brave, rescuer of stupid monks. Princess Falen the Magnificent, savior of silly old men!”

Falen laughed. “Princess Falen the Strange, embarrassment to princesses everywhere!”

Lidda tutted. She stood scowling by the door, arms folded across her chest. Waves of disapproval radiated from her. No doubt the old woman thought Falen shouldn’t be talking with Nashir. There were plenty of princessy things she ought to be doing instead.

“I’m grateful the Lords of Life relented and sent you to save this foolish old man,” Nashir said.

“Well we both learned a lesson today then,” Falen said. “For me, it was never go riding without a rain cape.”

Nashir laughed. “A most valuable piece of advice. I’ll be sure to remember it the next time I go a-wandering. But tell me, Princess, why were you by the river? Even though I know little of the customs of your land, riding alone in a storm strikes me as an odd thing for a princess to do?”

“Doesn’t it just?” snapped Lidda. “If I had a penny for every time I’ve told her that, I’d be a rich woman.”

Falen turned to the old servant. “Haven’t you got things to be doing, Lidda?”

Lidda sniffed. “Fine.  I know when my advice isn’t appreciated. I’ll be about my business.” She brushed down her skirt before stomping out of the room.

Nashir watched her go and winced as the door slammed. “I think you might have upset your friend, Princess.”

Falen sighed. “I know. And I shouldn’t have. I’ll apologize later.” She placed her hands on her knees. “Well, I’ll leave you to recuperate. Have a safe journey home.”

Nashir’s hand snapped out and closed around her wrist. “Wait, Princess. Do you have to go yet?” His rich brown eyes fixed on her.

“I, er, I suppose not,” she heard herself saying. Her thoughts felt suddenly foggy. “I can stay a little while.”

A wide smile split his face. He let go of her wrist. “Good. I wondered whether you would do me a favor, Princess.”

Want to keep up with my latest releases? You can sign up for my author's newsletter at http://eepurl.com/m4Lzf As a thank-you I'll send you a copy of my fantasy short story collection, Circle Spinner and Other Tales.

You can find more information about my stories, my characters and lots of other random stuff over at my blog: www.elizabethbaxter.blogspot.com. See you there!

You are a wonderful person and your support is much appreciated. Thanks for reading!