Chapter 5

This book, along with the rest of The Wrath of the Northmen series is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes and Kobo.

Falen blinked, trying to clear her head. “What favor?”

“I came to Variss in the hope of setting up a chapter here. However, to do so I need royal approval. Would you be able to arrange for me to see your father?”

Falen snorted. “Hardly. When it comes to things like that, I have no influence.”

Something flashed in Nashir’s eyes. Anger? “Surely not, Princess. You are his daughter. All I need is five minutes with the king.”

“I’m sorry, Nashir,” Falen replied, shaking her head. “It’s impossible. If you want to speak to my father, you’ll have to add your name to the petitioner’s list like everybody else.”

“But that could take weeks!” Nashir snapped. He sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose. “Forgive me, Princess. It seems I’m not as recovered as I thought. Tiredness makes me grumpy.”

“I understand,” Falen replied, getting to her feet. “You wouldn’t want to come near me first thing in the morning!”

Nashir chuckled and his eyes focused on Falen’s tunic. “What’s that?”

Falen looked around. “What’s what?”

“There, in your pocket.”

Looking down, Falen saw the crumpled stormglass plans sticking out of her tunic. “Er, nothing. I’d better be going.”

“It looks like plans of some kind. Are you a designer, Princess?”

“Just a project I’m working on,” Falen replied quickly. “Nothing important.”

Nashir held out a hand. “May I see them?”

Falen hesitated. She ought to bid Nashir goodbye and walk away. But it might suggest she had something to hide and if Nashir happened to mention it to Lidda or the physician, it was bound to get back to her father.

She pulled the designs from her pocket and handed them over. Nashir spread the papers out on the bed and peered at them eagerly.

“Ah, a woman of science! Now that explains your haste. I learned long ago never to get between a scientist and their experiments!”

Falen’s eyebrows rose. “You know scientists?”

“Of course,” Nashir replied. “Within my temple many of the monks and nuns study the scientific arts. After all, the natural law is part of the Lords of Life’s creation. Studying those laws are just another way to venerate Their works. Is it not the same in Variss?”

Falen snorted. “Not for women. And especially not for princesses.”

“So how did you learn?”

“My father hired a tutor from Ral Tora. He was supposed to teach me about the world’s different political systems. Instead, he taught me about science and engineering. I loved it.”

“What happened to him?”

Falen shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant even though sadness welled up inside. “My father sacked him. But it was too late by then. I was hooked.”

Nashir stared at her. After a moment, he said, “Everyone needs heroes. When I was younger, I saw one of the Falad’s horse races. It was the most exciting thing I’d ever seen. I decided there and then I’d be a rider in the races one day.” He smiled. “That was before my Lords called me, of course.” He bent over the stormglass plans and studied them silently, the tip of his tongue sticking out as he concentrated.

Falen watched him. She felt a little uncomfortable having a stranger examining her plans. But, she had to admit, it was nice to have someone showing an interest.

“This looks like some sort of measuring device,” Nashir said, looking up. “Are you using it to measure rainfall?”

“Not rainfall,” Falen said, leaning over and pointing. “Water level. I’ve been measuring how it moves up and down depending on weather conditions. I’m hoping to discover a way to measure air pressure. If I can get it right, maybe it will help predict weather patterns.”

Nashir chewed his lip. “I’ve heard of such theories. I read a treatise once by a Ral Toran scholar that talked of such things. I can’t remember his name though.”

“Tamwyn Tharly?” asked Falen.

Nashir held up a finger. “Yes, that’s the one. Didn’t he have some theories about the moon controlling tides and the like?”

Falen nodded. “It’s his ideas I’ve been using. These designs are based on his drawings, in fact.”

“Good for you!” Nashir said. “No doubt your creations will be the envy of Variss one day!”

Falen smiled wryly. “I wish. I’m not having much success. I can’t seem to get the design right and my results are inconsistent.”

Nashir studied the paper spread out on his knee then looked up at Falen. “I could help you if you like?”

“You’d do that?” asked Falen, startled.

Nashir grinned and tapped the side of his nose. “Why not? The doctors think I’ll be here a while yet. I’d be delighted to help, it’s the least I can do to repay you for saving my life. I have a few ideas. We’ll get your stormglass working, you just see if we don’t.”

An idiotic grin spread over Falen’s face but she didn’t care. Progress at last! She might make the application deadline after all.

Want to keep up with my latest releases? You can sign up for my author's newsletter at http://eepurl.com/m4Lzf As a thank-you I'll send you a copy of my fantasy short story collection, Circle Spinner and Other Tales.

You can find more information about my stories, my characters and lots of other random stuff over at my blog: www.elizabethbaxter.blogspot.com. See you there!

You are a wonderful person and your support is much appreciated. Thanks for reading!