Chapter 6

This book, along with the rest of The Wrath of the Northmen series is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes and Kobo.

Only a few hours had passed since sunrise, but already Falen’s back ached. She stifled a yawn as she stared at the piece of paper, listening as Minister Gamel explained its meaning. Something about farming rights in one of the lower valleys. The man’s voice creaked like old leather, his monotone drawl in danger of putting her to sleep. But she forced herself to remain upright, plastering a look of interest across her face, nodding at what she hoped were appropriate intervals.

Finally, he fell silent, looking at Falen as if he expected an answer.

Falen cleared her throat, stirring in her chair. “Everything seems in order, minister.”

She imprinted the parchment with her royal seal and handed it over, smiling warmly.

“Thank you for your diligence, minister. I believe that will be all for this morning.”

He reached out one age-spotted hand, rolled the parchment and placed it into his satchel with the rest. He climbed slowly from his chair, bowed to Falen and then tottered to the door.

Falen kept smiling until the door closed behind him, then the smile slipped from her face like a dollop of butter from a knife. She climbed to her feet, left her council room and returned to her chambers where she found Lidda tidying.

“What else have I got today, Lidda?” she asked.

The old woman frowned. “You know full well, young lady. Don’t pretend you’ve forgotten.”

Falen widened her eyes in mock innocence. “Forgotten what?”

Lidda’s frown deepened. “Lord Baylan Sigard is arriving this morning for his son’s investiture as a knight. Your father expects you to be there to welcome him.”

Falen groaned. Lord Baylan Sigard was one of her father’s oldest friends and a powerful Varisean noble. His son, Lord Malwyn Sigard, was a sniveling toad with all the warmth and charm of a lizard. And Falen was pretty sure her father was eyeing him up as her future husband. How many times had she caught her father and Lord Baylan whispering together whilst shooting her covert glances, as though she wouldn’t notice?

Lidda went into the bedroom, emerging a moment later carrying a red velvet dress with a plunging neckline. “How about this? It brings out the color in your cheeks.”

Falen curled her lip. “Lidda, if I wore that I would look like a giant strawberry. I don’t think so.”

Lidda sighed. She returned to the bedroom, emerging this time with a blue satin gown with long billowing sleeves. “How about this one then?”

Falen pushed her chair back from the table. “I’m not going, Lidda. I have too many important things to do. I’m sure my father can cope without me.”

“Important things?” Lidda snapped, flicking the dress onto the back of a chair. “What important things? I hope you aren’t planning on going riding again. Not after what happened yesterday.”

Falen held out a hand, trying to calm the old woman’s ire. “No, no. I’m not going to even leave the palace. I promise.” She hoped this would placate her old servant but Lidda wasn’t having any of it.

“I see. So there is something you must do that is more important than attending a welcoming feast for your father’s greatest political ally?”

Falen shuffled, staring at her feet. “Yes.”

“And what might that be?”

“Just things.”

“What things?”

Falen could tell from the tone of Lidda’s voice that the old woman knew exactly what Falen meant. “Oh come on, Lidda! All father and the others will be doing is talking about hunting and drinking and all the amazing, exciting things they did in their youth. Does he really need me there for that?”

For a wonder, the hard look on Lidda’s face softened. “I know Lord Malwyn isn’t exactly what you might have had in mind for a husband, but he’s young and strong and…” She trailed off as if running out of things to say.

“And arrogant and conniving and slimy,” Falen finished for her.

Lidda said nothing. Falen was right, and she knew it. The woman blew out her cheeks. “Very well. Have it your way. Though I don’t know why you keep persisting with these experiments of yours. Unless, of course, you have plans for them?”

“Er, no plans,” Falen said quickly. “Just a project.”

Lidda stared at her. “Fine. If anyone should ask, I’ll say you went out and didn’t tell me where you were going.”

Falen grinned and threw her arms around the old woman’s thin shoulders. “Thanks, Lidda.”

The servant shook her head. “I must be mad.”

Falen planted a kiss on Lidda’s forehead then spun around and ran from the chamber.

A short walk through the palace brought her to the infirmary. When she entered, the monk’s face lit up. He was sitting up in bed with a book open on his knees. He had a piece of toast in one hand and a pair of large round spectacles perched on the end of his nose.

“Ah, Princess! Come in, come in.”

He snapped the book shut and hastily brushed crumbs from his robe.

“As you can see, Princess, I wasn’t expecting you quite this early. I thought you’d be busy all day, what with all the royal goings-on.”

“Please don’t tidy on my account, Nashir. What are you reading?”

“The doctor was kind enough to send for some books from the library for me.”

Falen lifted some from the pile by Nashir’s bed and read the covers. Flora and Fauna of Northern Thanderley. Topography of the Northern Ranges. A Compendium Of Mountain Beasts. Maps peeked out here and there amongst the books, mainly showing routes through the mountains, and particularly those leading into the Sisters.

“You seem to have a keen interest in geography, Nashir.”

“Geography, science, history. Anything really. There is enough knowledge here in Variss to keep a man sated for life! It was indeed fortuitous that the Lords of Life sent me here.” He took a bite of his toast and munched away happily, oblivious to the fact that a line of butter was running down his chin.

Falen tried not to smile, instead putting on her most serious scholarly face. “I wondered if you’d take a look at my stormglass plans. But, I can see you’re busy—”

“No, no,” he said, his mouth full of toast. “Never too busy for you, Princess, and the doctors say I’m all right to be up and about today. I said I would help with your stormglass and I meant it. I am yours to command.” He looked himself up and down, realizing he was still in his nightclothes. “But, er, give me a minute to get dressed, Princess.”

Want to keep up with my latest releases? You can sign up for my author's newsletter at http://eepurl.com/m4Lzf As a thank-you I'll send you a copy of my fantasy short story collection, Circle Spinner and Other Tales.

You can find more information about my stories, my characters and lots of other random stuff over at my blog: www.elizabethbaxter.blogspot.com. See you there!

You are a wonderful person and your support is much appreciated. Thanks for reading!