Guilty Conscience

Our limbs flowed gracefully in sync with each other as the music carried on. Rin was such a good dancer.

She had a beautiful smile on her face, and I hadn't even bothered to pay attention to the way I influenced myself. I had unintentionally let my emotions flow out in my movements, and I cursed myself for letting that happen. My feelings rolled off my hands as I moved them in sync with the music. As I turned, chill bumps ran up my spine as more emotions welled up inside of me and burst open along with my arms, and I felt the expressions on my face react along with them. Before I knew it, the song was over, and Rin was panting. I looked over to the stunned audience and saw Kagome on the verge of tears.

"Hey there, Star!" I heard a familiar voice call out to me, snapping me from my thoughts. I looked up to see Rin, my only friend. She was running up to me, dramatically waving her arm in the air.

"Hey Rin." I said blandly. We had known each other since I started at that boarding school, and we were dorm mates. Her black hair was pulled half way up to the side, held by a ribbon as usual. We were meeting at the doughnut shop, so we could head to our dance lessons.

"So Star, I heard you're leaving soon?" She asked with dismay. Unlike her normal cheery tone and sparkling, brown eyes, her demeanor was distant and her eyes dull. It bothered me to see her that way as we walked down the street, my hands tucked into the pockets of my jeans, and my head down. I looked at her from the side, not moving my head, smirking.

"Yea, I'm afraid so," I said, "I need a little break, and I'm thinking of going to visit my pen pal in Tokyo." I stared off in distrait. The sun was bearing down on us, and my aviator hat with the goggles was becoming hot and heavy on my head. I felt a cool, but subtle, breeze blow our way, and it was calming.

"A break from what?" She asked confused. Her innocence was so cute and appealing to me. I had always felt the need to protect her even though I could care less about other people. I'm not normal, with mis-shaped ears and pointier canines than usual. I used my thick, golden hair and aviator hat to hide those, and there was no reason to fret about my teeth, as I never smiled anyway. My fingernails and toe nails looked like some of those fake acrylic nails, so people never bothered to look at them. They were real and sharp, though, enough to kill in one swipe.

"Well, you know I've always hated the stench and polluted air of this city, and I just need a vacay," I explained, "the only thing I'll miss is you, silly." I said, poking her nose. She was only a year younger than me, but she could be mistaken for an eleven year old at times. I was about to end my senior year, and I promised her we would set out to the world together-that I would wait for her. She was ecstatic at my confession of missing her, and she began running around in circles with her arms out like a plane or something. I sighed and turned the corner to the doughnut shop. We ate doughnuts and had coffee and started on our way to LA Studios.

Star's P.O.V:

The room hazily came into view, the dimmed lighting doing well in keeping my eyes comfortable. Sitting up, I realized I was in the same bed I had awoken in previously, but I now recognized this place as not just a dorm but my dorm. The dream I witnessed possessed a certain physical reality to it that I couldn't recognize as anything but a memory.