Adjusting

It was early morning on a school day, kids abuzz and conversing on the verandas of the Academy between classes. I wasn't too fond of crowds, and I didn't plan on being seen by too many people. According to Setsuko, my class had already graduated during my absence, so anyone here would probably not remember me, anyway. A part of me was crestfallen, for I had the feeling I used to possess the desire to prove myself in the past. Now, however, that part of me recognized the failure in that task.

Sighing, I decided to make known my goal, starting with Setsuko. She was, after all, the headmistress. The thought of a demon academy made me chuckle as I rose from my relaxing position on my bed and dressed for the day. Staring at myself in the mirror, I drank in the bland white tank top, golden blonde hair, and aviator hat. Something about the look felt normal, and I enjoyed the thought. However, upon deeper observation, the pointy ears, deadly claws, and protruded fangs wrote a different story.

I was a demon. What kind of demon, I wasn't sure yet. However, I knew that to be acquaintances with one such as Sesshomaru, my demonic nature must not have been a joke. Smirking, I reveled in the thought of unleashing it. A fire burned all throughout, itching to light my skin ablaze in its aura - my true demon aura. Right now wasn't the time, though.

"Yes, Star?" As if expecting my presence, Setsuko didn't even bother to turn upon my entering her office. Instead, she sat with her nose buried in paperwork. Sesshomaru, of course, never left this room, and if he did, it was to go to the roof to restrain his anger. As usual, I was the one to fuel his emotions, too. It was amusing, after all.

"I have a proposal." Knowing the headmistress would not conform so easily to my ideas, I had formulated a plan the night before. She did everything Sesshomaru desired. If I could utilize that fact, she would melt to appease my demands.

She rose a brow as her lime eyes met mine, "oh?" She let out a sigh. "What is it?" Tiredly, she set down her reading glasses with a thud and folded her hands so as to give me her attention. I smirked, glancing at a wary Sesshomaru.

"I wish to open this school up to demons and humans alike. With so many running rampant on the streets, like Akira, they are in danger of exposing themselves and ending up jailed or dead. I think we can hone their skills and teach them in a peaceful environment in this academy, yea?" Letting my opinions and thoughts flow from my mouth, I kept a firm gaze on the old demoness so as to display my seriousness. With every passing word, her face could do nothing but gradually express her incredulous reaction.

"Stop looking at me like you believe the words leaving your mouth." The woman finished, raising a brow when my expression remained ardent. Sighing, she continued, "even if I were to do that-"

"If you do, I will return with Sesshomaru to the feudal era and remain out of your hair." Smirking, I watched as her expression grew dark. Sesshomaru visibly stiffened, his aura flickering in surprise. I indeed had remembered just where I had met Sesshomaru. How I got there, I was still unsure, but it made sense considering his anachronistic behavior. The fact that I was acknowledging it in front of him meant my plan was sure to succeed. He'd be enthralled by the fact that not only had I managed to remember meeting him, but I was also willing to comply with his first desire of returning to his time.

However, he seemed just as ardent to keep me grounded as he did to keep me at all.

Setsuko glanced at Sesshomaru who held a very irked expression and had an icy glare set on me. I was confused. He wasn't taking the bait. Surely, he'd be glaring at Setsuko right about now and demanding she did as asked, but it seemed to be the antithesis of my hypothesis. Had I outweighed my worth?

"You're not a bother to me, Star. I'd never want you out of my hair  as you say. It seems you haven't quite recovered your memories, huh?" With a pitying, almost broken expression, she gathered my confusion. "You're acting like your old trouble-making self – predisposed to the feudal era – wagering stipulations and strategizing your approaches." She smiled fondly, a reminiscent air about her expression. "My only problem with opening up this human school to demons is one: demons can lose control of themselves easily, especially troubled, homeless ones. Two: the chairman would indefinitely shut us down. He knows what demons are; he can't be fooled. And three: I can't handle demons and humans in one academy alone; I'd die even as the strong demoness I am from simple stress. Imagine the scandals and accidents." She rubbed her eyes continuously as if rubbing images away. I rolled my eyes, almost groaning at the obstacles to be overcome.