Chapter 7

The spy that had previously worn the face of the sailor known as Earl was growing frustrated. Although his latest victim and the other sailors had been asked to join Visandus on this new voyage, the details of their exact direction had been kept secret, and despite the authority he held in his other identity, he had failed to learn more. The erstwhile sailor Boreson had been branded as a traitor, the subterfuge he had played exposed by the knight that had disappeared within the Slth slave base. The fact that the spy had already moved on to a different appearance had eased the suspicion of a betrayer in their midst, but not enough to freely share their latest destination. Still, the spy had warned his master of possible danger. He had identified the ship and its crew and, of course, the successful destruction of the one that had carried the Goldenflame.

“So soon has the bearer of the sword been removed from the game? I am disappointed, very disappointed indeed,” his master had rumbled. “A poor choice. Pity the sword could not be recovered.”

“I know not where we travel to next. What do you wish of me to do?” the spy had said, prostrated before the image of his dark lord that shimmered through a lit fireplace.

“It is unlikely that they have uncovered my location. However, if they have, the ship will be captured long before they land. Your task has now changed. You will take more of an active role rather than merely provide information. The powers I have given you serve you well. Use them. Without an Arch-Mage present, they pose a lesser threat to me. Kill the knights and the ship’s captain. The slaver base can be rebuilt again in time. Obey my will.”

“Yes, my lord and master. I shall do as you command,” the spy replied. The Dark One merely nodded, his fearsome image fading from the flames that had held it.

The spy’s reverie of the recent past was suddenly broken. The ship in which he now traveled had suddenly slowed. There was a flurry of movement as sailors scrambled towards viewing ports and above deck as horns were blown and responded to from afar. Three Turinthian warships surrounded them, along with a fourth ship. The additional craft aligned itself next to theirs as boarding planks slid into view.

“What is it, what’s happening?” the spy asked, struggling to get a view from behind the men who crowded the portholes.

“Their crew is coming over…all of them!” one of the sailors said.

“We are switching boats!” another said with sudden realization.

The spy’s eyes nearly fell out with shock.

“A good plan!” Bartholomew said as Visandus directed his crew onto the waiting ship.

“Aye, friend knight! Though my man may have acted alone, there is no way to tell! Though some of my men did not wish to return on this journey, they shall be watched, and if there are more spies in our midst, this will dash their plans! If our unknown opponents were expecting this stolen craft, they will be in for a surprise! There is little chance of warning our foes now!”

Richard huffed, observing the tableau alongside Bartholomew and the other knights.

“Even you have to admit, Richard, this was a smart trick on the part of our captain!” Euric said.

“I admit nothing. This trick was planned with the approval of Lord Mountebank. The credit is truly his.”

“Hopeless!” Euric shouted, laughing with joy. He smacked Richard upon the back, eliciting a ferocious growl in return as the bearded knight walked away.

Within a few hours, the exchange had been made. The ship returned home with its naval escort. The others continued their voyage in a similarly sized vessel of different colors.