d a y o n e

// This chapter is dedicated to wishing2write who is my new wattpad friend. Please check out the books she writes! They're pretty awesome... and I have a message for all my magical readers.. you have the power to make a person's day better! That's how special you are.. so vote, comment, share and discover the not known books on wattpad and encourage the aspiring new and undiscovered writers by giving them more views... let's make people smile!//

The cold bench was freezing Bradley's cold anxious hands. His foot was tapping the white tiled floor at a fast pace. The walls was annoyingly white. Pictures of happy babies smiling with their shiny eyes.

Thats not what happening inside the Children's ICU. They scream. They cry. They die.

Beads of sweat were adorning his forehead. He was feeling like he was on fire. But chills still ran under his spine.

His heart was beating fast. Just as fast as his quickened as his girlfriend was dying. He knew it was day one.Hallie didn't have much time.

He felt like cutting his hands off. He was disgusted. But he knew that it was the right thing to do.

He still felt  the red pen that changed everything on his fingers.

The ICU room door creaked open. Bradley was tired. It was about 3:47 in the night. He needed sleep. But he couldn't. Cause his daughter could fall into deep slumber anytime.

"You may go in now Bradley." The doctor sighed. The same one who told him about his daughter's short time. His eyes were now sympathetic towards Bradley. He grew fond of him. He found it wonderful as to how a 22 year old can be so responsible and caring. His son wasn't. "And I know you made the right decision." He patted his back.

"Okay. Thanks doc." Bradley got up wiping off the sweat on his forehead with his stinky shirt. Stained with the blood she coughed three days ago.He stayed in the same army green shirt and black jeans for three days. He had to literally be with his daughter for every moment.

Bradley. Looked like a mess. He couldn't go to his dying daughter like this. He looked like a dirty pig. He had to look good for his girl. Slowly walking with an ache in his back from hunching for too long, he rested his hands on a faucet to wash his face. Wiping his face with a handkerchief in his pocket, he turned to walk towards the ICU door. One door he had become too familiar with.
The walked through the same hallway a few hours ago. He was being pushed out. His daughter started coughing out blood again. Her stomach started hurting again. She felt like fire was growing inside her.

And it was her scream that woke him up.

Slowly pushing the frosted glass door to the side, Bradley poked his head inside. Her eyes were shut.
Walking inside, he sat on the same steel stool beside the mechanic bed she lay on. She had less pipes in her. Next to her, a device with a ticking timer. And that wasn't helping him. Cause he knew that it would stop. Very soon. Because he decided it. With that stupid red pen.

"Hey daddy." She croaked. Her voice was so weak, you couldn't even tell she was speaking. But he understood her. He even understood her babbling when she was small. He understood everything she said. Everything she felt. And that hurt the most right now.

"Hey.. how did you know I was in here?" He asked with his voice laced with anxiousness and fatigue.

"I know everything." She chuckled. But it was a lame attempt. "I could feel your breath." She said.

"My baby is so smart." He said, his voice cracking. Slowly brushing her dry hair, he looked at her eyes. Her bright eyes now giving up. And that was the worst mistake he could make.

"What happened daddy?" She asked referring about the sudden incident.

"You fell sick again sweetheart." He sniffed.

"I'm going to die soon aren't I?" She asked softly. Her hand slowly falling in his arm.

"Yeah." He sighed shakily. Tears didn't stop rolling down his hot cheeks. His eyes bloodshot.

"When?" She asked, a tear rolling down her cheeks.

"Soon." He couldn't tell her she was going to today. Because he did it. He was ending her breath.

"It's okay daddy. I am very happy." She said smiling slightly, caressing his cheek.

"But I'm not happy Hallie. Who I drop to kindergarten now?" He cried harder.

"It's okay. You will find another girl. Just as pretty as mommy." She said.

"No one is as pretty as mommy. She was the best." His voice cracked.

She could just keep quiet. She had never seen her father like this. He was distraught. He was broken. He was giving up.  But she had heard him crying alone in his bedroom a few times. Just like a lost sad little boy.

The air was getting thicker. The walls seemed to be coming closer to each other. He was hungry. He was sad. He was angry. He was giving up. He was dying inside. And she was too. And they both were running out of time.

Bradley liked up at the monitor beside her bed. She had a few minutes left. And he had few minutes to share the same air she was breathing in.

"Don't cry daddy. I'm going to be free right? I will be with mommy right?" She cried, more tears tumbling down her cheeks. She was trying to stay strong for him.

"Then don't go." He croaked, looking into her glossy small eyes.

"I have to daddy." She touched his cheek again.

"Who will I play with? Who will I shout at? Who will I enjoy life with? How will I live?" He asked, his voice filling with panic as time was dying. And so was she.

"You will be fine. Everything will be okay." She smiled. Tears cascading down her face more and more.

With a clenched heart, he looked at her once again.
"I love you Hallie. Very very much." He sobbed. The timer stopped ticking.
"My most beautiful girl in the world."

She wanted to say I love you back. But she was too weak. The pipes were now empty. And her breathing slowed down. But she still held her smile. She wanted to see her father looking at a happy Hallie dying. So she put all her last energy into a smile. As big as she could make it.

And that smile showed his everything. Told his everything.

And in that one second, he realised that he had just lost everything. Her breath. Her warmth. Her scent. Her.

He had lost his life. His life that still held a smile.

And he was just left with a long drawn deafening beep...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Heart rate- 0 beats per minute.