Chapter 5 : Late Night

"So basically Christopher Columbus was a horrible person," Benson said. The 10-year-old sat across the table from Victoria. His posture was straight as an arrow, and had been that way since they started their first tutoring session two hours ago.

Which was why Victoria consciously sat up straight too, even if it was exhausting. She felt ashamed to slouch when her student was sitting with such perfect posture.

"Yes," Victoria said. "They don't teach you that in school, do they?"

Benson shook his head.

"Well, history never tells the whole truth," she said. She wondered if maybe contradicting Benson's school teachers on her first day of work was a particularly bad idea.

"So why do we study it then?"

"That's...a very good question." Victoria smiled inwardly. The boy was smart. She was not going to hate this job. "I think we study history so we can find out the truth about us. Even lies tell us something."

It was uncanny how Benson looked so much like Chase. The young boy had blond hair, but he and his uncle had the same blue eyes.

She couldn't quite figure out the funny feeling she had when she found out that Benson was Chase's nephew, not his son. Until Chase's assistant mentioned it, she'd assumed he was Chase's son. And that there was a Mrs. Chase in the picture.

"I wonder what Mr. Everett would say if I ask him about it," Benson said, glancing down at his book.

"Well, let me know."

He looked up and frowned. "You think I should bring it up?"

"I think...you should never be afraid to ask questions. If they're sincere." Asking too many questions has gotten Victoria in trouble at school more than a few times. But she didn't remember ever regretting it.

Benson shrugged, and closed his book. "I think that's the last of this week's material," he said. "Do you want to go over next week's?"

"Oh no. I think we've had enough for tonight. You can get dinner. Your homework's all done, so I think you can hit the Playstation or something."

"I don't play games."

"You don't like them?"

"I've never had a Playstation. Or an Xbox."

"Does your uncle not want you to play games?"

"No. It just never came up."

Victoria helped him put his books and notebooks away. "I have a Playstation myself," she said. "Games are fun, and a great way to relax."

"Aren't you a bit old for gaming?" Benson grinned.

She smiled back at him. "No one's ever too old for fun, kid." She paused, thinking. "You know, I could bring it over sometime. The new Tomb Raider is pretty cool, we could go a few rounds on that."

"Okay."

Victoria eyed him suspiciously. "Just like that? You're not going to ask your uncle first if it's okay?"

"What for? He hired you as my tutor, didn't he?"

"Yes?"

"Well, that means he trusts you not to teach me anything bad. And besides," he added. "If I don't like games, I can stop playing."

"That's true." Victoria couldn't stop smiling. Benson was so precocious, she had to restrain herself from pinching his cheeks.

To think she almost didn't get this job.