Chapter 10 : No Reservations

"I guess I should have asked you where you were dropping me off," Victoria said, looking around.

Sebastian had parked in front of Al Porto Italia. A valet in a red and gold uniform was hurrying to open the door for him.

"I thought we'd get dinner first," he said, not looking at her.

"It's fine, Mr. Chase," Victoria said, forcing a smile. "I can take the bus from here."

But he had already gotten out. He walked around the car and opened the door for her. "I have something to discuss with you before you go," he said. "You can either wait in the car, or join me."

Victoria didn't say anything for a few moments, then she nodded and got out.

Inside, a stout, middle-aged man in a suit greeted them cheerfully. "Mr. Chase!" he said. "I didn't know you had a reservation with us tonight."

"No reservation, I'm afraid, Aberto," Sebastian said. "Will you be able to fit us in?"

"For you, of course!" Aberto gestured to a waiter, who nodded and left. "We will have a table ready for you and your lovely date in a few minutes."

Victoria turned red.

"This is Ms. Victoria Slade," Sebastian said. "Ms. Slade, Aberto owns Al Porto."

"Lovely to meet you," Victoria said, shaking his hand. "And I'm not his date," she added shyly.

Aberto burst out laughing. "Sebastian, did you kidnap this young lady, perhaps? She looks like she is ready to run the moment we take our eyes off her."

Sebastian smiled. "Ms. Slade is merely anticipating your seafood risotto," he said. "I told her yours is the best one can get outside Italy."

"Ah, we do our best. I am homesick most days, so I try to bring Italia to Los Angeles."

The waiter came back to inform him the table was ready. Aberto escorted them to a table by a window, and excused himself to go back to the kitchen.

Victoria looked around at the plush interiors and elegant couples sitting at the white cloth-covered tables dining on wine and exquisitely plated dishes, and wished she were home. Her boss was angry with her, and the prospect of having to sit through dinner with him was not something she was looking forward to.

She smiled at the waiter who pulled out a chair for her. The young man responded with a smile. He had dark hair and fine features, and his eyes sparkled as he looked at her. For a moment her heart lifted. "Grazie," she said.

"Prego, signorina."

"I'll have my usual, Marco," Sebastian said. He sounded almost curt. "And the lady will have the same."

"Very good, sir," Marco said. But he looked back at Victoria, as though to confirm her order. She smiled and nodded, grateful for his consideration.

"Will you be having wine tonight, Mr. Chase?" Marco said.

"Your best chardonnay, please. Thank you."

"Are you always this friendly to everyone, Ms. Slade?" Sebastian said, after Marco had left.

"I try," Victoria said. "When you work in the service industry, you appreciate the little things."

"Are your customers rude to you at work?"

"Sometimes," she admitted. "It makes you appreciate kindness more."

As she spoke, she felt a little ashamed of herself. Sebastian had been incredibly kind to her today, and the fact that he was a little too direct with the way he spoke did not change that.