Chapter 9 : Champagne Afternoon

The door opened and a gorgeous woman in her thirties walked in. Wearing a stylish yellow tunic and boots, she exuded confidence and elegance as she approached them.

"Sebastian, honey, it's been so long," she cooed.

He kissed her on the cheek. "Hello, Deb," he said. "You look as breathtaking as ever."

"So do you, darling," she said, looking him up and down admiringly. She turned to Victoria and smiled. "You must be Victoria."

"Uh...yes," said Victoria. She looked even more nervous when Deborah appeared.

"Ms. Slade has decided she would leave everything to you," said Sebastian. "She's completely in your hands."

"Let me take a look at you, honey," Deborah said, walking around Victoria, appraising her. "Hmmm...beautiful hair. I always love working with redheads. And you have a good figure. I don't believe we'll have any problems finding you a few things for work."

"Thanks," said Victoria. "I mean, good. I think." She smiled sheepishly.

"Sit down, honey. Sebastian, make yourself comfortable. Shall I call for coffee?"

"Okay," Victoria said.

"Maybe not coffee," said Sebastian. He sat down on a large leather chair. "How about some white wine?"

"Of course," said Deborah. "Champagne, perhaps?"

"That would be perfect, thank you," Sebastian replied.

"I didn't mind coffee," Victoria whispered to him when Deborah left. She took a seat on a white couch.

"You serve coffee all day," he said. "Aren't you sick of it yet?"

"Well, yes, but...Champagne seems a bit much—"

"Deborah will serve us a goat's head on a platter if I ask for it," Sebastian cut in, and was rewarded with a giggle from her. He suppressed a smile, and added, "Besides, you look like you need a drink. You should learn to take the good things people offer you."

"I'm just a tutor, Mr. Chase," she said. "When someone offers me champagne for buying a couple of dresses, I feel like a fraud."

"Well," he said, resting his elbow on the arm rest and leaning his forehead on the knuckles of his fingers. He cocked his head and regarded her with mild amusement. "I believe there will be a lot more than just a couple of dresses."

"Oh God," Victoria said, eyeing the rack of clothes Deborah wheeled in front of her in horror. They looked expensive. And they smelled even better than she did.

"She means they're lovely, thank you," said Sebastian.

"Oh, no," she said. "I'm sorry. It's just that..."

"Come, sweetie," Deborah said, taking her hand and helping her to her feet. "You're completely in my hands, remember? Don't think, just try these on. I'm here if you need help zipping up."

Victoria shot a panicked look at Sebastian as Deborah led her away to the fitting room. His face was devoid of expression, and he merely lifted his glass .

"I never told you my size," Victoria said.

Deborah waved her hand dismissively. "Honey, I do this for a living. Now go try this first," she said, and handed her a white suit with red trim.

It fit perfectly. Victoria buttoned up the jacket and stepped out to Deborah's critical appraisal.

"That will do nicely for PTA meetings, don't you think?" she said. "Here, this is something more comfortable for when you're going over the books with little Benson." She handed Victoria a pair of grey slacks and a dark blue top.