Breaking

3rd Persons POV

Three days; Kit sat beside Riku’s side for three days straight after DiZ had helped her and Namine move Riku back into their room. She was exhausted, hungry, but most of all worried about the silver haired boy who had yet to awake from his encounter with Roxas and Xigbar. Namine came by to check on them both several times throughout the day, but Kit refused to leave his side for anything.

She ran her hand through his hair; pushing it out of his face as his blindfold lay forgotten on the dresser. His wounds had just about completely healed due to the potion Namine had told her to give him when they got back. Kit watched him with worried yellow eyes that were shadowed by her long silvery white lashes.

“How are you going to help Sora if you don’t wake up?” Kit questioned the unconscious boy as she twisted a lock of his hair around her finger.

“Come on, Riku. It’s time to get up now. Your friends are waiting.” Kit whispered to him softly and he shifted ever so slightly.

Riku’s eyes fluttered open and what he saw hovering over him made him reseal his eyes for just a moment. A teenage girl with long silvery white hair was bent over his figure; her bright yellow eyes filled with worry and fear. Riku shut his eyes, thinking he was dreaming and a bright flash of light lit up the room for a moment.

When Riku’s eyes opened again he was in the company of his assigned side kick. The small silver fox rubbed her cheek against his softly before sitting upright on his chest with her head tilted to the side. She mewled at him causing him to rub her head as he tried to remember exactly what had happened.

Kit watched as Riku’s rather confused look melted into one of bitter rage causing the darkness in his heart to seep through his skin. She mewled at him frantically as fear started to overtake her before she let out a shrill cry that caused Riku to jump slightly which caused his darkness to dwindle back down to its usual amount. Kit continued to whine even after Riku rubbed her head and hugged her softly to his chest.

“I’m sorry….” Riku whispered to her as he sat up with her still held to his chest.

Riku’s arms loosened only enough to lower her onto his lap before he buried his face into his hands. Kit nudged his arm with her nose feeling just as guilty; after all if she hadn’t just ran off before finishing Xigbar off, Riku would have never been knocked out by him. She could feel the anger, as well as the sadness that radiated off of Riku.

Kit mewled at him before her stomach growled much to her own embarrassment. Riku’s hands fell from his face before a chuckle bubbled up his throat. Kit mewled again and rubbed her head against his chest only to have him pick her up.

“Let’s go find you something to eat.” Riku told her softly as he swung his legs off the bed and stood up.

Riku nearly lost his balance, but caught himself as Kit stared up at him with concerned yellow irises. Once he righted himself, he flicked her ear and headed out the door without even checking to see if he was dressed correctly. Riku walked the whole way to the kitchen without anyone noticing him and set Kit onto the counter as he looked for something for the two of them.

It was a little upsetting that no one had taken care of Kit while he was out, but that also led him back to self-loathing as her took out the carton of eggs from the refrigerator. Riku let out a deep sigh as he fished  the frying pan from the cabinet and set it on the stove before cracking a couple of eggs into the pan. Kit watched him with a mild interest before she walked across the counter to a small stack of bowls that she pushed over to him; keeping them steady with her head.

Riku set Kit’s bowl on the counter and took his own over to the table where he sat down. He pushed the eggs back and forth in the bowl as he rested his chin on his free hand and stared at a spot on the wall blankly. He was loathing himself for losing to Roxas, for not being strong enough, for everything had had done to his best friend and even leaving the small fox that shadowed him by herself.