Chapter 3

I blinked. I blinked again. The man walking beside Roni was not Victor. Disappointment and relief both flooded through my veins as the eye color on the man changed to a dark blue instead of the ice blue eyes that were so captivating. He was a handsome man with dark brown hair that was cut short. He had a square jaw with a cleanly shaven face. His skin was slightly tan and he stood over six feet with a broad stature. His large hands were intertwined with Roni's much smaller ones.

My eyes moved over to Roni's moving body. Her small, round face was brightened with a broad smile that showed off her pearly white teeth. Electric blue eyes sparkled against her pale skin. Her petite body was towered by the mystery man walking beside her.

Natalie and I both stood up when they got closer. She went to gather the two rambunctious twins before walking back towards us. The kids had started to run with each of her hands wrapped around theirs.

"Roni, what are you doing here?" I said, smiling widely and engulfing her in a big hug.

"Hey, Ava," she laughed, hugging me back fiercely. She pulled back, but left her hands on my shoulders. "Well, Anna had invited me to the Christmas party next week. I wanted to get home as soon as possible and I had just finished my finals, so I thought why not?"

"And who is this?" I asked, motioning towards the man who had stuffed his hands into his leather jacket pockets.

"Oh! You know, I still can't believe that I haven't introduced you yet," she exasperated. "This is Damien, Damien Marino," she paused. "My fiancée..."

"What?" I exclaimed, a broad smile painting itself on my face instantly at the news. Surprise washed through me and I could not help pulling her in for another hug. "Oh, my goodness! This is huge and I just might forget that you forgot to tell me about him!"

We seemed to squeal like little girls for a few more minutes, laughing even more when we saw the twins and the dogs mimicking our actions. Natalie was chatting with Damien and soon we were all making conversation.

I finally noticed that Roni's smile was different and her eyes swam with such love when she looked at him. A twinge of jealousy stirred in my mind when I saw how happy she was, but it was quickly replaced with guilt for feeling that way. I should not have to be jealous over this. Roni is happy and she had found someone she loved. I am happy about this.

"Do you want to go get some coffee? I'm dying for a taste of Daisy's coffee. I haven't had it in forever," Roni sighed, picking up Elijah while Eliza was wrapped in my own arms.

"That sounds great," I sighed, dying for a cup of the woman's famous coffee. I internally smiled at the café that we had always gone to since we were children.

"Do you mind dropping me back off at the house, darling? I'm going to take a nap before my family gets here," Natalie asked, already moving to get the blanket and my camera bag.

"Oh, let me get that," Damien suggested, quickly and softly moving the elderly woman out of the way. Natalie tried to fuss at the man, but she soon gave in to the helpful man. I sincerely appreciated his actions, knowing that if I had tried that she would have pulled my ear. I had learned my lesson a long time ago.

"Of course, Nat," I said. "We'll meet you at the coffee shop. You remember where it is?" I asked, swinging my camera bag over my shoulder and taking the blanket from Damien.

"Okay, I know I haven't visited in a long time, but I didn't lose my mind," she scoffed with a smile still etched on her face. She wrapped her arm through Damien's as they walked to their car. I could see a slight bounce in her step as she lovingly pranced next to her fiancée.