Lori thought Mia was just plain stupid, that she could hide it from her, but the girl had seen her in the woods with Shane Walsh

Lori thought Mia was just plain stupid, that she could hide it from her, but the girl had seen her in the woods with Shane Walsh. On the contrary, Mia thought that practically half the group knew about them but kept it to themselves. Carl didn't know, but just thinking about it made Mia want to hurl all over the place. How could her mother have moved on from her father that quickly? Especially with his best friend.

Shane. He'd better have not have thought he was let off the hook. It took two, so he was just as guilty as she was. He and Mia had their good moments. She was civil with him despite what he was doing.

Mia strode off at the edge of the woods, listening to the birds high up in the trees. There wasn't much to do around here at the end of the world and despite her age she was never actually allowed to do anything. At that moment, she'd wanted to be a bird. To fly away from the horror that took place every day. It was hell on earth and the world didn't belong to them anymore. It belonged to the dead. For now.

It had been a few months since the outbreak. Right before it had all happened, her dad, Rick Grimes, was shot on a mission and ended up in a coma. Right when it all started. Great timing, fate. 

Shane had told them that he died. Which is exactly why Mia couldn't understand how her mom could have moved on so fast. The last time her parents spoke it was an argument. Mia was still packing all her things, getting ready to move into her own place, but the end of the world put a hold on that one. Sometimes she wondered if her mom even loved her dad, wondered if her and Shane had had an affair even when her dad was around. Since Lori had practically brushed off his death like it was nothing, like it didn't affect her, so it wouldn't be much of a shock if this affair had been going on for months, years even.

Mia's parents had her when they were very young, so their relationship even after Carl was born made it seem like they probably didn't even love each other, but chose to be together because she was brought into this world.

"Mia!" Lori called out to her, breaking her from her crazy train of thought. She glanced to the left and saw that Lori wanted her to wash up some dishes.

"Seriously?" Mia threw her hands up dramatically when she reached Lori. "I'm twenty-one, not forty or however old you are. You do the dishes. Give me something, I don't know, a little more challenging. Dishes are for people your age."

Lori chuckled at her daughter's words but threw her a dishrag anyway. "Cleaning up your bedroom was already challenging enough for you. A few dishes shouldn't be a problem."

"Can't I go find a rabbit or something? Or pick some berries? Or even go blow some brains out?" Mia half joked and started to scrub a chopping board.

"You know they don't come this far up the mountain," Lori stated. "And I wouldn't let you go near one if you were given the choice. I wouldn't be comfortable with that."

"I'm not a baby," Mia huffed, even though she understood where Lori was coming from. Mia wouldn't be comfortable with her adult child wandering off and killing geeks, and would do anything to tighten the leash. "I'm a sophisticated adult who can make and alter her own decisions."