Ch. 4 - Snowflake Kisses

Snowflake Kisses

It was almost time for the party, and I was finishing the small touches to my makeup. I was wearing the dress that my mother had bought me. It was red, and it showed off all of my curves, in just the right places. I was putting on my pearls when my sister Beth walked into my bedroom.

"Wow, Hot Mama!" Beth teased as she came up behind me.

"Oh my goodness, I'm not wearing this," I sighed.

"No, Allie you look great!" Beth smiled. Ethan was on her hip, and he was decked out in his khakis and Christmas sweater.

"Why am I so nervous?" I asked looking into the mirror one last time.

"Maybe because you're trying to catch someone's eye this Christmas, a certain neighbor that you have been crushing on forever?" Beth teased.

"Oh shut up," I stated and went to put on my heels.

"You're so blind," Beth laughed as she left my room.

Later that night the party was in full swing, and I still hadn't seen any sign of Blake. I mean of all the times for the boy not to show up. I had given up hope, so I went outside on the deck to look at the stars.

"Why so serious Allie?" I heard a voice break the silence. I suddenly turned around to see him.

Blake was dressed in a black suit, with a red tie that matched my dress. His hair was styled in a messy way, and his smirk literally took my breath away. I didn't understand what was happening to me. I felt the heat in my cheeks rise, my tongue was glued to the roof of my mouth, and nothing would come out of my mouth.

Blake made his way to where I was standing and slip off his jacket and placed it on my shoulders. Just this small gesture made me get goose flesh. I looked up at Blake shyly, only to find his eyes staring into mine. I don't know what made me do it, but I just closed my eyes and kissed him.

I wasn't teasing him this time, I really meant it. I kissed him, and the funny thing is he kissed me back. The butterflies that were fluttering around in my stomach soared to my head, and I felt my heel pop, just like in the cheesy, black and white movies you watch when you're feeling sorry for yourself.

When I opened my eyes it was all a day dream. I was still standing out in the cold, and Blake was nowhere to be found. I couldn't handle it anymore, and ran inside and up to my bedroom. I don't know what felt worse the fact that Blake didn't come to the party, or the fact that I finally admitted to myself that I actually had feelings for my best friend.

I didn't even change out of my dress I just cried myself to sleep on top of my bed.

I just have one thing to say and that's love sucks.

I finally climbed out of my hole of self-pity when my youngest sister asked me why I was sad. She said that no one's suppose to be sad on Christmas. Then it hit me it was Christmas day. I changed out of my dress, and into my pajamas, knowing that my family would suspect the worst if I didn't.

As I walked down the stairs I was the last one around the tree. My father was filming like always. Candice and Darcy were giddy over the presents Santa had left under the tree, Beth was bouncing a happy baby on her lap, and my mother and I shared a silent smile. I think she was the only one that actually realized I was sad about last night's lack of events.

I walked into the kitchen to get some coffee. I really didn't want my family to see how effected I was by Blake not showing up.

"Allie, do you want to talk about it?" my mother asked walking into the kitchen.

"Talk about what?" I asked putting on a fake smile.

"Allie, you can't fool me. I know when my little girl is heartbroken," she sighed.

I ran up to mother and she wrapped her arms around me. I know I was in college, but I still wasn't too old to let my mother dry my tears. There was just something about a mother's love that made you feel like everything would work out in the end.

"Mommy, why does it hurt so bad?" I asked after I cried till I couldn't cry anymore.

"Baby, it's because you have deep feelings for this boy," she sighed. "And it's about time that you admitted them, but I'm truly sorry that it happened this way. If I could take away the hurt, and find away to make it alright I would."

I just smiled up at her. She was right as much as I hated to admit it.