Real Life

following an exceptionally awkward encounter at the door, cecilia and tom made their way to the sofa sitting next to each other about a foot between them. finally cecilia spoke first, " I understand that you are hurt that I didn't give you the entire story, I'm sorry that I projected my fears of rejection on to you. And I know I have hurt you and for that I'm sorry." after a pregnant pause tom replied, "my insecurities made me doubt you. it made me believe that you might still be in love with her. it made me wonder if I was the only one feeling something. am I?" cecilia looked at him for a moment, her hands in her lap twisting and gripping each other, keeping her anchored in reality. keeping her present there with tom. in this warm hotel room, in a state that was not home. but in that specific moment, she realised, as cheesy as it sounds, that tom felt like home. in away all the houses, and apartments, and countries, and cities, and towns didn't. in a way that Fiona and her mother didn't. he made her feel completely safe. and to cecilia, that was love. so she moved closer to him, and grabbed his hands in hers and expressed her love to him for him. " tom, I love you more than I have loved anyone before. to me you are home. and I don't know how to deal with all these emotions exactly. for the last eleven years, my life has left me drowning. yearning for an escape. so when I met Fiona I felt liberated and free. and then she said that the drinking and the drugs helped her. so it began, getting wasted and chasing the high, because it gave me room to breath. but that didn't work forever, and I cheated on Fiona and then she cheated on me, and everything was falling apart. so I ran, I ran to Harvey, and lia, and kate, and chandler , and my mom. and no one had any answers. so I ran again, and I ended up in a rehab facility in Paris. and after nearly a year, I was released. and every day, I struggle to keep my head above water. I take my meds, and I work hard. but sometimes that isn't enough, so I'm sorry I've hurt you, and I'm sorry I love you and I'm sorry that," She paused to draw a ragged breath, "I'm sorry that i can't keep myself together." as her body shook and shivered tom held her. there were no kisses, no reassuring words. just a warm and steady presence that only tom provided. so they laid together on the hard couch in his hotel room. people came and went. first Sebastian, who was looking for tom, then Robert who was looking for cecilia and finally Lizzie looking for the couple. Lizzie snapped a picture of the couple but kept it to herself. and the duo slept, both exhausted. they slept until the next evening, when they awoke hungry, and filled with love.