Chapter 3

Chapter Three- 1,500 Words

Darren

"Haven't I seen you somewhere before?" I asked the brown haired girl a few seats away from me. She had ordered a whiskey and coke from Terry, which caught my attention. Never have I heard a woman order anything so strong, especially whiskey. She sure peaked my interest.

When I glanced at her, she looked awfully familiar with her medium colored brown hair, and her bright green eyes. Her small face had a sharp jaw, her lips were full, showing two dimples on either side.

"I work for your aunt Mina at Crafty People." She retorted, taking a sip of her drink. The scowl on her face was obvious to anyone that she wasn't in the mood to talk. I turned my attention back to my drink, and stared at the ice in my glass.

I can't tell you how long we sat there quietly, and to be frank, I didn't mind the quietness. It was refreshing from the usual buisy days at the office, the stress of taking care of everything, and everyone. All the questions I answer in a single day, all the decisions I have to make about the company, deciding what's best for everyone who works there.

Sometimes it becomes too much, and I want to pull my hair out. Even scream at the top of my lungs at the people constantly knocking on my door, or calling my phone.

I barely had ten minutes to myself at a time. I loved doing what I could for my fathers business, but sometimes I wish that I could be a normal man, with normal responsibilities.

"Hello hunny, what's your name?" A man asked the brown haired girl whose name I couldn't remember.

"Its none of your business, and get the hell away from me." She stated, turning away from the man. He stood there with a smirk on his face, leaning against the bar, towering over her.

"Oh come on, sweet thing. Don't be like that."

The man never even glanced my way so I stood from my stool and walked over to her, putting my arm over her shoulder. She turned to me with wide eyes, but quickly narrowed them. Before she could protest, I hugged her.

"Hey babe, sorry I'm late." I confessed, sitting next to her, I looked up at the tall man. "Who are you? You tryna hit on my girlfriend?" I asked, scowling at him.

The man stood up, putting his drink down, and walked around to me.

"Why, what're you gonna do about it?" He laughed, looking down to me. I followed suitly, standing up. I got in his face, and snickered.

He pushed me hard, and I hit my back on the bar. Anger flared through me, and all I could see was red.

*****

Ava

The annoying guy who was trying, and failing, at flirting with me pushed Darren hard, making him hit his back on the wooden bar. Darren's eyes flashed with anger, and I gulped.

It all happened so fast, and before I could stop him, Darren had hit the man so hard it knocked him out cold. The guy was bleeding profoundly out his nose.

The bartender rushed over to the man, checking his pulse to make sure he was still alive. He rolled the man onto his stomach so he wouldn't choke on the blood flowing out of his nose.

"Damn Darren, you almost killed the man." The black man said to him. He was breathing heavy, trying to calm himself down. I touched his arm slightly, which made him turn his head towards me. I saw the kindness flash across his eyes when he looked at me, but went away, just as fast as it came.