Chapter 4

Chapter Four- 4,300 Words

Ava

"Oh my, you look so beautiful Ava." Mina said, eyeing me up and down.

After she finally got me to say yes to the party, she made me promise to go with her before the party started, so we could search for dresses. It wasn't just any party.

Mina explained to me that they were holding a fundraiser for Darren's father who had stage four lung cancer.

Of course they didn't need any money, it wasn't that type of fundraiser. She said that they held a special event where everyone came to pray for Mr. Grayer.

My heart ached softly for Darren, and the pain he and his family must be in. Especially his father. I've been so rude to him, while he's been very helpful to me.

At first I hadn't understood why in the world Darren would want me there, after I asked, Mina said that she was the one who wanted to invite me. I felt silly for thinking that Darren Grayer could possibly invite me, of all people, to his fathers fundraiser.

Even though I still don't know why he stopped by the shop, I felt that it wasn't my business to get involved.

Mina picked out a cute white, and black dress that fit my figure perfectly. The top half was white, and the black bottom flowed out like a leaf falling from a tree in the fall.

I picked out a pair of black pumps that wouldn't hurt my feet if I stood in them for a long period of time.

I looked in the mirror at my outfit, and smiled. Its been so long since I've worn anything but a pair of faded jeans, and a sweater.

"Thank you, Mina. Its been so fun spending the day with you." I giggled, feeling like a teenager going to her first highschool party.

"Im glad you decided to come." She admitted, giving me a small hug. Mina picked a black dress that ran just past her knees. The top ran around her neck, and lace covered her chest. It was a beautiful dress. She wore a pair of wedges, and a beautiful gold neckless was dangling from around her neck. We changed back into our street clothes, and payed for them

"Now its time for make overs. Its been so long since I've been pampered." She giggled, pulling my hand leading out of the store, in the mall, where we got our dresses. She led me to a small hair salon called Styling Divas.

"Hello ladies!" A tall girl with brown hair, and blonde highlights said. I couldn't help but stare at her bushy eyebrows. I didn't understand how she could let her eyebrows get so big, considering she worked in a place who does just that.

"Hello, we want makeovers." Mina said, following the woman to the back where four black chairs sat in a row. There were stations set up, each with a black chair that you could pump up, or let down with a lever. There was huge wooden vanities, with big mirrors connected. The girl sat Mina, and I down next to eachother.

"Your stylist will be Heather. She's in the back, but she'll be right out." The woman said, before starting on Mina.

A short while later, a very pretty girl walked towards me with a smile. "Hello, I'm Heather."

I gave her a slight smile back, she walked around me and starting playing with my hair. "Your hair is so soft, and beautiful. What would you like done?" I honestly didn't know. I was tired of looking the same plain old way. I wanted a fresh start, just like I got from leaving Vernon. I was ready to change my look, and the way I was. I wanted to leave my past behind, and look to a brighter future.