1. The World Over Yonder

Mikage knelt down next to the girl.
"Are you a human?" He asked softly, and the girl made a small noise of surprise and tilted her head up from where she had been resting it on her knees, eyes widening as she looked up at the kind, blond man.

His circular glasses reflected what little light there was in the shadow of the building, and his long scarf was looped around his shoulders twice, almost touching the ground.

The girl took only a second to blink out of her confusion and answer. "Yes, I am." She replied, voice slightly cracking.

Mikage's eyes softened. "I assume you don't know where you are?"

The girl glanced back behind Mikage's shoulder, at the street no doubt filled with creatures like the kind she had seen earlier.

"No, I have no idea."

Mikage nodded. "How long have you been here?"

The girl shook her head, looking down.
"A few days, maybe a week."

Mikage swallowed his shock. He'd never even heard of a human surviving here more than a few hours!

Mikage smiled, kind eyes locking with the (e/c) orbs of the girl. He extended his hand, touching his fingers to her jawline to gently tilt up her head.

"Would you like me to help you get back to the surface?"

The girl's eyes widened, then tears started to form at the corners of her eyes, expression growing clouded.

"I can't." She said quietly. "Besides, I don't have anywhere to go, even if..."

You don't have anywhere to go?"

The girl looked down.

"The orphanage I was living in got a major fund cut, and I was kicked out. Then I was stumbling around in the dark, and I somehow ended up here, and there's... Things... Everywhere!"

Mikage kept his smile but tilted his head in confusion. "You can see them? As a human?"

The girl nodded, and Mikage slowly extended a hand to her.

"My name is Mikage, and I will help you to the surface."

The girl looked up at him. "No... I'm fine... Please... I don't want to be a burden...."

Mikage made a waving motion.
"No, no, please, it's fine!"

The girl looked up, and a breeze made her clothing ripple. "I have nowhere to go, not even on the surface."

Tears filled her eyes, slipping down her cheeks and falling down, mixing with her blood, though her expression itself was blank.

"The people at the orphanage said they couldn't care for someone like me."

Mikage's eyes narrowed in understanding. This human had been in The World over yonder for far too long, the atmosphere had completely taken over most of her mind. She needed to get away from it, and soon.

The girl closed her eyes, limbs suddenly going weak, and Mikage exclaimed in surprise when her knees, that had been tucked up against her chest, went limp, sliding to the side.

Her midsection was soaked in her blood.