One

I was minted in 2001. This is my journey. Throughout the years I’ve seen a lot of things, been a part of many stories. Being a quarter, you’re never in the same place for very long. I’ve swapped hands so many times I’ve lost count. Countless lemonade stands, getting lost in the couch cushions, gumball machines, cash registers, the possibilities for adventure are endless. Even though I’m just a quarter, you’d be surprised the difference a little bit of change can make. 

I can make a beggar smile, or be found on the ground at just the right time, I can be the difference between getting something you need and not getting it, a miracle. But to most people, I’m just a quarter. Passed over the counter without a second thought, kept in the register, later being set into another pair of hands. All around the world, there are so many stories, so many lives, all so vivid and delightful in their own unique ways. I’ve been a part of many, but the most extra-ordinary is the one of Zach Martin and Olivia Wallace 

This particular story started out like any other. The blazing grocery store lights shone into the register as it was opened. The cashier pulled me out of the register, and set me into the hands of a teenage boy along with a few dollar bills. His dark blond hair was combed back in a perfect little swoop, eyes as green as the sea. At first glance, most people would write him off as a classic heartthrob, a player, but there was so much more to him than that. Zach had a secret. He was absolutely, positively in love with Olivia.  

Now, Olivia definitely did not feel the same way. She despised Zach. His witty charm and good looks blew right over her head. After all, she was too smart to fall for his dumb love notes, and silly scams. Why? You would ask, did she hate him so much? Well, that’s a tale for a later time. With that being said, let’s begin the story. 

It was the winter of their senior year, and drafts of cold wind snuck through the open doors of Danville High. Zach arrived early that morning, with me tucked inside of his pocket, and a new gimmick to try with Olivia. She arrived with five minutes to spare, wrapped up in a hat, scarf, earmuffs, snow boots, and a thick coat to protect herself from the chill of the sharp December air. 

Once at her locker, Zach watched her pull off her mound of snow gear and stuff it in her locker. He smiled at her natural beauty that had been concealed under the scarves and hat that left only her eyes visible. She swings her backpack back onto her shoulder, and Zach sees his opportunity. With me tucked inside of an envelope along with a note, he swiftly walked past her, slipping the envelope into the open pocket of her backpack. Now all he had to do was wait.