[Rick Grimes] Little

PROMPT:

Judith calls you mommy and Rick has conflicted feelings about it.

[requested by @skytime2365 . Hope this is okay! Thank you for the request]

"Hey, mute. Thanks for your help on the run today." Heath called out to you, taking your attention. You smiled, shrugging your shoulders. Your smile then vanished, replaced with a devilish smirk.
"I'm not a mute. I talk- just not to you." Oh boy. Heath didn't believe it...not even you believed that. It was the truth. You were a mute. The only people you'd really ever spoken to were the people in your group. Rick, Maggie, Daryl. Even then, you didn't like to speak to them. Everybody in the group had wound up together so perfectly like it was fate. People like Maggie seemed to connect with everybody like the jigsaw puzzle that could fit anywhere. You didn't. Being with the group was better than being on your own but the truth was...you just didn't fit in. The fact that you were the odd one out only made things more awkward. Humans with functioning mouths' just didn't understand you.

That's why you and baby Judith got along so well. She was young. A little baby. When you were young people use to say that because babies' couldn't understand you; they played off of energy. If you had good energy, a baby would like you. You must've had amazing energy- because Judith seemed to like you an awful lot. When she wasn't with Carl, she'd come to you. Rick didn't mind it. He was always so nice to you. When he got use to his daughter getting on with the shy girl so well, he eventually started passing her to you when he was busy - or asking for you to come over and calm her down. You loved her as your own.

The group were all extremely nice to you - despite the lack of communication. You didn't speak much but your actions spoke a lot louder than your words ever could. One thing that you had, that the group valued, was your loyalty. You'd saved their asses more times than they could count. Single-handedly with katana and throwing knives. It went as a package; shy, badass, good with kids, knife throwing gal. Hey...what a package...

But it wasn't enough. Things like that weren't enough. Not enough to stop people from doing stupid, reckless and rude things.

You sat down on the stairs in front of your shared house and took out your knives. You began sharpening them, your face going red with anger.

Why would Rick do this? Why would Rick say such a thing.

It wasn't your fault. Carl had been trying to teach Judith words. Mommy, daddy? He'd been trying to teach her and you just happened to be there. And when Judith was in your arms, as Carl spoke, Rick walked in.
And because fate never worked in your favour, Judith took her tiny hand, stroked your face and uttered the words that would divide the two of you forever.

"Mommy."

And you enlarged your eyes, shooting a glance in Rick's direction. His shoulders sagged.
"Rick!" You were quick to say. Carl stood up abruptly, taking Judith from you. Rick stormed out - and you followed him.
"RICK! I'm so sorry!" You called after him, darting down the stairs and in front of the house.
"Y/n. Thank you. Thank you for being there for her- but for now. I NEED you to stay away from Judith. Stay away from her." He said it and you were instantly pained. These words were so unlike Rick. It stung.

And you were so hurt.

Even after a quick run with Heath and Tara, it still suffocated you. Even now, as you sat on the porch and sharpened your knives...it still ate into your heart.

How could he? But you weren't upset anymore. You were just mad. Very mad.

Even from the way your face had gone red, or the way you aggressively sharpened your knives. It was obvious that you were pained and terribly angered. Why would Rick react like that? You'd been nothing but kind to his daughter. You loved her. You loved her and you cared about him. It wasn't your fault that you'd been something like a mother to the young child. It wasn't your fault that you just happened to be there.

And even though you wanted to never see Rick again, to lock yourself away to a place where nobody could ever see you again, Rick found you.
He no longer looked mad. It was as if the roles were reversed because now Rick was the sad one and you were the angry one.
You stood up, stabbing your knife into the railing of the porch and facing Rick. He looked defeated, as he reached out to touch your shoulder. You yanked yourself away from his touch.
"Y/n, I'm sorry. What I said...what I said was wrong."
You stared at Rick, shaking your head.
"WRONG? TRY delusional. How the hell would I know that she'd call me her mother? Are you CRAZY, Rick Grimes. Are you crazy for blaming me for being there for your little girl?! ARE YOU CRAZY for banning me from being near her because she loves me, just as I love her? YOU ARE CRAZY! Normal people want the best for their daughters. THE BEST! You must be crazy for trying to take away one of the only people who is constantly by Judith's side! One of the people who love her the most!"  You may have been known as the mute- but for every time you were soft spoken, for every time nobody could hear you whisper- here you were...and you were roaring.
"Y/n-" Rick tried to interrupt but you wouldn't let him.
"No." You continued to yell. "I LOOK AFTER HER LIKE SHE'S MY OWN. I'D MOVE THE SUN AND THE MOON FOR YOUR DAUGHTER AND YOU'RE TOO BLIND TO UNDERSTAND THAT! How dare you sa-"
But before you could continue, Rick crashed his lips against yours.
You were taken aback, but you kissed him back.
He pulled away, grabbing your hands.
"I said; I'm sorry."
You took a deep breath, furrowing your brows at Rick.
"Why? Just tell me why you'd say such a thing?"
"Because I was scared. Scared of what this would do to us." He simply replied.
"To us?"
"To us. I didn't want to put you in a situation where you felt like you'd have to be Judith's makeshift mother. Hell...I know you are. We all do. I love you being with her. I do. I really love it...I love you."
"You do?" You stared at him in disbelief, his words sinking in. "You love me?"
Rick put his face inches to yours, pressing his lips on your quickly.
"I do. Guess it runs in the family."

Sorry it was short! Hope you enjoyed :)
I've been getting a lot of feedback and I really appreciate it! Thank you guys. Please always let me know what you think of my imagines. I would love constructive criticism. Love you guys :)