Mommy's Hero (Short)

A YEAR LATER- Dalton's POV

It's been a year and my mom and I have been doing well. After our talk last year, she filed for divorce and retraining order against my father. Since that day in court, we haven't seen him. After a few months, she started going out with me to shop and to the park. After that she began to work at a bakery, she made friends there. Now that it is my senior year, I fewer classes and I quit football, which means I have more time for a job and take on my new passion- photography. I still have and use the camera that Nana sent me last year....

Symphony and I still don't talk to each other. I try to avoid the stupid feeling when I'm a school, but I guess it's true. I'm in love with her. I still look at the photos Nana sent.... Symphony's smile, I don't see much of that these days....

"Hey Dalton!", David called and I looked up from my work "you up for pool tonight!"

"Idiot! The first week of Senior year and you already want to slack", Lane sighed hitting David's arm "go home and do your homework"

"Okay dad", he mumbled rubbing his arm and I chuckled

"Even if I wanted to, I have work", I replied and they nodded "then I have movie night with my mom"

"That is so sweet", the boys teased with innocent smiles and I glared at them

"I can still beat the both of your asses with or without football", I commented packing my things as the last bell rung and stood "later guys". As I walked out of the classroom, Candy and Symphony were staring across from the door. Candy went on and on about something, while Symphony played with the loose thread on her sleeve.

"Hey babe!", Lane called from beside me and they both looked up, Symphony froze seeing me

"Hey!", Candy smiled as he walked over and she hugged him. I turned to my right, ready to leave down the hall, but someone stood in front of me- Marsha

"Dalton, I was thinking-"

"I have to work Marsha", I quickly turned her down, knowing Symphony was watching

"You always have to work!", she whined and pouted, I took a deep breath

"That's the point of a job; I work for five days then sleep on the weekends", I explained slowly like she was child "I only have time for school right now, sorry"

I wasn't really sorry -_-

"Um okay.... I guess call me? When you have a chance", she said lowly looking really disappointed, I nodded

"Sure, I have to go, later", I replied and as I walked away something dropped from my bag- The Seasons (Tchaikovsky), one of the classical CDs Symphony bought me. I still listen to them all the time, even during work. I quickly picked it up, bit of course Symphony saw. Her eyes widened a bit seeing the case, I smiled a bit and walked off- I would never throw these away....

"And here we are", I sighed in relief parking in the driveway of my house. My shift doesn't start for another hour, so I have time to do chores and homework before going out again. I went up to the door and froze- the door is cracked open.... My heart started to race as I stepped in quickly and quietly. The sound of heavy footsteps and things being thrown around came from upstairs. I put down my bag and went upstairs, following the noise to my mom's room

"Shut up you bitch!", his voice growled viciously and my hands clenched "he's not here to save you!". He was on top of her.....

"No! Stop!", my mom cried trying to fight back and he ripped her shirt open. I ran, grabbed his collar and threw that fucker across the room into my mom's vanity

"Dalton?!", she sniffled covering her chest

"Mom", I sighed quickly taking off my coat and gave it to her "go downstairs and call the cops, don't come back here"

"Awww, mommy's little hero", he grunted getting up as she hurried out the room "don't you know not to come in grown folks business boy!"

"You know, mom was nice enough to not press domestic abuse charges against you.... I'm going ask you to leave this house", I spat ominously and glared at him with all the hate in the world "if you don't then I'll have to force you, whether it's out the window or the front door is up to you"

"Did you just threaten me?! Your father-"

"My father is dead! Besides, we have a restraining against you", I yelled and I can see him getting more pissed than he already is "you are a stranger, who trespassed, attacked and tried to rape my mother..... I have every right to threaten you"

"You ungrateful little bastard!", he yelled charging at me and I smirked- he never knew I took football, big mistake. He swung at me and I dodged, jabbing my shoulder into his stomach. He stumbled a bit, but came back, kicked me in my stomach and punched my face. I grunted and coughed up blood

"Still want to force me to leave?"

"You're not going to hurt my mother again". He didn't have time to reply, because I tackled him to the ground and started punching him. I thought I had a good advantage until he reached over the broken glass of the vanity's mirror and slashed a cut on my cheek

"Fuck!". He pushed me off and stood. I wiped my cheek with my sleeve- not that bad. He came me again, trying to stab, but I grabbed his wrist and twisted his arm. His hand dropped the piece of glass, and kneeled to the ground. I grabbed his hair and bashed his head to the dresser- he was out cold. I breathed heavily and in relief, but kept watching him in case he would wake up.

"Dalton!", an unknown voice called and I frowned towards the door way, then soon saw three police officers

"Where's my mom?", I asked finally catching my breath as one of them helped me up

"She was rushed off to the hospital, when we arrived she was unconscious", one of the officers stated and I started to worry "come on, we'll take you to her then you could explain what happened here"

"Okay".

Symphony's POV

He kept my CD..... I smiled a bit as I sat in my room looking at the photos Nana sent last year. He hasn't tried to contact me or anything.... Maybe I should text him?

Suddenly I had the most terrible feeling ever. Something wasn't right....