Chapter 23

As the car continues to roll across the street, I continue to silently sob

As the car continues to roll across the street, I continue to silently sob. I knew I needed to be scared around Xavier, but I didn't think that he'd ever try to hurt me physically.

"Do you remember when I would come over to visit your dad? I know I'm not your favorite person in the world, especially since you found out about the locker, but I still care about you."

I glare at him, my face stained with tears. My hands are tied with rope, my back. My feet are pressed together, bound. If my feet weren't tied, I would kick him. Someone who cares about you doesn't punch you. Someone who cares about you doesn't tie you up. Someone who cares about you doesn't put you in situations like this. Which seems to be something my dad and my uncle don't understand.

"Seline, I used to babysit you. Your dad never trusted our brother around you, you were too good and he had no soul, but he trusted me. I've called you something cruel, but I needed your attention. If you didn't understand the gang colors, I had to put a message you'd understand. I know that you're not a slut. Your dad asked me to get your attention, so I got a recruit in the school to help me out and told him that if he painted that message on your locker with our gang colors, I'll back him up. As for punching you, I'm sorry. I didn't do it to hurt you, I just needed you to come with me and you were drawing attention to yourself." I wiggle in my seat and wave my tied hands so he can see them. He shakes his head. "I'm not going to untie your hands, but I'll untie your mouth. I need you right here, right now. There were men circling Austen's house, ready to pounce. It might not be today or tomorrow, but they're watching and waiting for your dad's call. I love you. I swear to you that I do, baby girl. I'm going to park the car for a second. Please don't try anything hasty, I need your full cooperation for this to work." His calm and low voice echoes through the car. He stops the car in a McDonald's parking lot, leans towards me and unties the rope around my mouth. He watches me, his eyes serious and calm. He looks away, focuses back on the road, and speeds out of the small parking lot.

"What I'm about to tell you, is important and it's going to help us both. Your dad needs to be removed, he's a terrible leader. He's going to run this gang into the ground. At first, he was a good leader, in fact he was a better one than Dad ever could've been. When he killed dad and took over I thought we'd be moving into a new era. But he let power get into his head, and he stopped thinking. He listens to recruits and people lower down than him, instead of me, his adviser. He leaves little bits and clues of our whereabouts everywhere that we go. He forces us to rob and steal from other gangs, it's despicable. If we get caught, then there will be a war. And if there's a war, soon enough people who don't need to die will die. Gang wars happen, true. But we shouldn't be starting rivalries right now. If I wasn't his adviser then we already would've been caught. You're his daughter, you want him gone from this business, help me. I don't want to kill him, he's my brother. And if we just get him arrested, then he'd still be the boss, people in the gang would protect him in jail. He would eventually find out that we were scheming. People outside of the jail would come after us. You know him, you can do something."