Chapter 1

"do you think he'll kill my parents?" My sister, my brothers. For once, im happy Shade is dead and out of Maven's reach.

I feel suprising warmth bleed against me, settling into my shivering bones. Cal has moved again, leaning against the bars right behind me. His heat is gentle, natural - not driven by anger or ability. Its human. I can feel him breathing, his heart beating. It hammers like a drum as he finds the strength to lie to me. "I think he has more important things to think about."

I know he can feel me crying, my shoulders shaking with every sob, but he doesn't say anything. There are no words for this. But he stays right there, my last bit of warmth in a world turning into dust. I weep for them all. Farley, Tristan, Walsh, Will. Shade, Bree, Tramy, Gisa, Mom, and Dad. Fighters, all of them. And Kilorn. I couldn't save him no matter how hard I tried. I can't even save myself.

At least I have my earrings. The little specks, sharp in my skin, will stay with me until the end. I die with them, and they with me.

We stay like that for what must be hours, though nothing changes to mark the passing time. I even doze off once, before a familiar voice jerk awake.

"In another life, I might be jealous"

Maven's word shivers down my spine and not in a good way.

Cal jumps to his feet quicker than I thought possible and throws himself at the bars, making the metal sing. But the bars hold firm, and Maven, cunning, disgusting, awful Maven, is just standing there, in front of us, looking at us as if we're rubbish.

"a life where he is going to be the king and I will always be the shadow"

"you are killing your loved ones, Maven! They loved you, you little piece of shit how do you even sleep at night" I spit those words. The dark circles around his eyes is still there. Murder gives him nightmares.

If only I could spit fire instead. Or at least give his neck a tight grip and a punch in the jaw. But i couldn't. He would have give my hand a burn before it make any contact with him

"on silk sheets, rolling naked in money" (*thousands gasps heard in distance* did she just quoted supernatural?!1!1 yes. Yes I did *drop the mic*) he walks toward Cal

"King Tiberias didn't love me. Never.  He's too busy loving my perfect brother, not realizing my existance" he grab Cal's face by the cheek in one hand and slam him onto the floor. He wants to fight back. Somehow, I can feel his urge to fight back. But he wouldn't. He couldn't. Cal doesn't have his power. He ran out of energy. He's too tired of everything. Tired of life.

He kneel in front of my bars and leveled his face with mine. He even smells cold

He give my cheek a gentle stroke before slaping me hard

"I can't believe you're stupid enough to play along, Little Lightning Girl". For a second, it almost didn't sound like Maven at all as the old all-good-perfect Maven flashed back inside my mind. I want the old Maven.

No. Anyone can betray anyone.

Cal broke the silent. "Don't be too pathetic, Mavey"

"Thought you've lost the ability to talk, brother. For a second, I thought  these bars could also disable your ablity to talk beside shutting off your power" sneered Maven

"Good bye, Maven" I wish there was more I could say, but there are no words for his evil. He knows what he is, and, worst of all, he likes it

He dips his head, almost bowing to the pair of us. Cal doesn't bother to look and grips the bars instead, wearing at the metal like it's Maven's neck.

"Good bye, Mare" the smirk is gone, and, to my surprise, his eyes looks wet. He hesitates, not wanting to go. It's like he's suddenly understood what he's done and what's about to happen to all of us. "I told you to hide your heart once. You should have listened"

How dare he